I seem to only get around to the Quick Update posts at the moment. Big weekend, I was up for 36 hours at some point..
- Monday, watched Vicky Cristina Barcelona with Rachel, very good movie.. kinda summer of love in spain, made me want to learn spanish and live in Barcelona.. one snag: the artist in this movie has two girlfriends but a car with only two seats (-: Some Talisker at home overlooking Cape Town.
“Maria Elena used to say that only unfulfilled love can be romantic.” — Juan Antonio, Vicky Cristina Barcelona
- Tuesday, watched Rushmore again (with Rachel), haircut with Lileen, watched Igby Goes Down again (with Andy).. similar movies actually, Paul Cluver Chardonnay, I dig Jeff Goldblum, watched my fav Simpsons episode: Cape Feare with some Talisker.
- “Our father would be a ‘slippery when schizophrenic’ sign, for instance..” — Igby Goes Down
- “Well done Joe.” — Andy
- Wednesday, up early, Lions Head walk with Andy, olives at the Deli with Georg and Andy.. spotted Inge Beckman there, salad and tequila at Da Vinci’s with Keith and Andy, turns out Andrew’s Scandinavian friend is on her way to jail when she gets back in Norway.. but jail time in Norway sounds like a walk in the park.
- “Gravitate towards yourself” — Keith
- So, end of and era, Georg, Andy and Joe will not be living together after January. It was good solid fun. I figure I’ll remember this time for having a good soundtrack, the braais and always enough Chardonnay in the fridge.
“When you have everything,
You have everything to lose.”
— Ben Harper, Diamonds On The Inside
- Thursday, gym, swim, I made her a compilation CD.. actually 4 CDs, a run in Mouille point with Rachel, cooked a pretty good vegetarian meal at home.. that took some inspiration (first thing I’ve cooked in 4 months), Rafiki’s with Cams and Adin, Kyoto with Andy.. I think I’ve had all the cocktails on their menu now, had a good chat with Lorynne (redeemed myself, I think), Talisker nightcap.
“Full of stuff she likes. Full of stuff that make her happy.
For the first time I can sort of see how that is done.” — High Fidelity, about a compilation
“You got to have scars man, either physical or emotional” — Adin, about woman
- I’ve really been liking Timo Maas lately. Good big room tunes.
- Tune of the week: (Where do I start, ) Where do I begin ? — Chemical Brothers
- Friday, fetched Mia, Bakoven beach with Mia, Ingy, Ben and Veronica.. bumped into Nikki and Andrew, Ingi had her birthday party at our place.. she made cupcakes, braai, big party.. 25+ people, awesome people.. surrounded by good friends and music, nice to see Paul again, more Talisker. Lots of fun, but also like a going away party in some ways. I think we may have convinced Ingi to move back to Cape Town.
- I’ll look back on 2008 (2nd half) like I do on 2004.. for I was happy and it was fun.
- I remember listening to Liza se Klavier looking out over Cape Town at around 3am, an interlude when most people moved on to Asoka or Fiction.. and for a brief moment, I missed Stellenbosch.
- Saturday, off to Andy’s mountain house near Porterville with Mia, Andy, Debby and Marcia, fun road trip in Deb’s Landy.. Bettys road trip de javu, awesome sunset over the Swartland, wine and braai.
“I never did like Sauvignon Blanc first thing in the morning.”
“I feel like I can breath out here.” — Andrew
- Sunday, Mia and I went for a walk around the Protea farm, Andy made brunch on the fire, chilling, a swim in the river at Beaverlac, road trip back, went to drop Mia off and met her new sister (Francis), watched High Fidelity again.
- I figure, some people just don’t handle scarcity well.
Man, I am lucky to be surrounded by such awesome friends. Have a fun week crazy kids.