Mystery

People often ask me about my website.. looking at me in a strange way and saying something like.. “but, you have everything about you on your website?”.

Kinda. Everything that I’m happy to share. That’s what personal websites are for right?

I love discovering personal websites. I usually read every page.. assuming it’s interesting. I’m talking about brochure / history / life story stuff… the traditional homepage, something creative and personal, not the usual fickle “I built myself a blog in 5min and I updated it a year ago” site.

I think I maintain my personal website because I hope other people also love this discovery process.

I’ve found one potential snag in this theory: mystery.

I figure mystery is a big part of the initial excitement and intrigue of relationships. People assume the best… well, if you don’t I guess you are looking for something else, but that’s another story.

“This suspense is terrible. I hope it will last.” — Oscar Wilde

Now, imagine you enter a new relationship (the romantic type) and you are able to say: “What do you want to know? Everything is here.. here is the URL, with friendly navigation, extensive history and detailed photo archive.. about 50GB of content.. knock yourself out, baby”.

Very efficient, but no mystery.

Then again, I guess it depends what you are looking for.

I have this theory that we learn the first 80% in 20% of the time, but it takes 80% of the time to learn the remaining 20%.

“The final mystery is oneself.” — Oscar Wilde

Having a good personal website could just speed up the process of filtering the people that are not aspiring to the last 20%.

ps. Why am I writing this?.. because 37 is my new record number of posts in a month.