Some weeks I wake up and I’m somebody’s dad. Some weeks I wake up and I’m a kid on an adventure…
- Monday, woke up in Athens.. babies don’t sleep this well, only got out of the hotel at 2pm, no point if the light is bad for photography right?, blogged, found a new hotel, the first one was in an area that looked like Mogadishu at night, train to Piraeus and back.. harbour area, good time to read the travel guide, Greek salad and octopus legs with a Mythos beer, Roman Agora, bought a few tshirts, followed my nose for a while, Hadrian’s Arch, Temple of Olympian Zeus, Zappeion Hall, Panathinaiko Stadium, National Gardens, Parliament, a 10 Euro Gin Martini on a rooftop in Gazi, a beer at Gazi Collage again, picked up a fresh orange juice on the way to the hotel.
- I think I need a Cape Town sticker for my camera bag.. but the official Cape Town tourism branding may look a bit gay.
- Pet hate: tourists who hang around monuments (inconsiderately) when I want to take photos.
- Tuesday, pretty useless hotel breakfast, moved to a new hotel, National Archaeological Museum, a late lunch, nap, the 16mm and I went to explore the Ancient Agora, The Acropolis, watched the sunset from the Nike Temple, g&t on the balcony overlooking the Agora and the Pantheon, Jacques arrived late.. he fell off his bike on the way to the airport.. on the highway, we went out for a few drinks.
- Maybe we should go to NZ for the rugby world cup in Sept 2011.
- Nice music on the subway in Athens, Dave Brubeck, etc.
- Wednesday, got up late, Jacques got himself a Fear and Loathing hat and shades, I got myself 3 pairs of sunglasses, lunch, nap, we solved the world’s problems on the roof of our hotel.
“Truth seeking is a dangerous business.” — Jacques
Lawyer: What about that tattoo on your chest, doesn’t it say “DIE BART DIE”?
Bob: “No! That’s German…for “Die Bart Die” (Courtroom laughs.)”
“No one that speaks German can be a bad man.” — Simpsons
- When I’m not really making phone calls my phone can go about 8 days on a single charge.. Jacques does not even get one day with his iPhone.
“Somewhere in the world it’s 5pm” — about opening a beer at 11am.
“Ek’s op ‘n pakkie ‘n dag.. Nurofen.” — Jacques about toothache.
“Buy then there is blood on the streets.” — Jacques about property investment.
- Thursday, Jacques’s bag got stolen in a cafe with his passport in it, took a ferry to Mykonos.. Jacques was not happy, so we depleted the ferry’s mini-bar sized Johnnie Red and there was probably a bit more Afrikaans swearing than necessary, two friendly girls took us to their family run hotel, had a swim.
“Soos on nou geleer het uit Californication.. floozies is nie die antwoord nie.” — Jacques, about relationships
- I met a girl who within a day pretty much knew everything about me. To be mysterious or not?.. I think I have more personal information online than anybody I know, but I’d still like to think I’m not giving away the whole story.
- Did I mention how hot the woman in Athens are, even the Police woman are hot.
- Street names are a bitch in Greece, often a street has three names.
- Why did I come to Greece?.. because I enjoyed the Egyptian history lesson or because Mia watched Mamma Mia over and over?
- Focus. Relax. The two most frequent (opposing) instructions Mia gets from her dad.
- I really need a travel companion who likes to read travel guides and plan things. Maybe Mia will be into that.
- Seems Santorini is one of the islands where Atlantis is believed to have been.
- I think I need to meet a girl for whom I’d like to make compilation CDs again.
- Mykonos is pure hedonism.
- Jacques thinks it’s strange that I tell people I’m from Cape Town and not South Africa.
- Friday, woke up on an island, a nice breakfast overlooking the sea, walked to the closest scooter rental place, hired at 50cc quad bike.. which was not designed to carry 210kg up a hill so Jacques had to walk a few times, cruised around or the right-hand side of the road without a helmet, this country really needs to update their laws to allow 125cc bikes without a license, had lunch next to the beach, walked around the old harbour town, nap, sundowner by the pool, walked to a restaurant close to the hotel and had Moussaka, Jacques kept me awake with a crazy romantic plan to cure me of Naulene.
- Saturday, had a Red Bull for breakfast.. needed the B vitamins, took the bike to Ornos beach, Mykonos old harbour, had some Swordfish fillet at a small shoreline cafe, took the orange lawnmower over the island to Super Paradise Beach.. which turned out to be a (half) nudist beach, got some rays, crazy sundowner beach party, Cob and garlic mash for supper, figured it was a bad idea to go to Space Dance, g&t’s and some photo processing.
- Sunday, greek yoghurt with honey, Paradise Beach, a Scuba dive at Paradise Point with an Afrikaans dive instructor from Somerset West, got some rays, Paradise beach party at Tropicana, Jacques convinced some people he was from Texas and I was from California, saw the hottest woman I’ve ever seen (true story), headed back to our local restaurant for supper, g&t’s at the hotel.
- Seems Jacques is pretty screwed without a passport. He’s taking a longer than planned holiday.
- My current travelling setup is pretty efficient. I guess I could go without the laptop and the heavy camera, but at least this way I can process my photos while travelling and not end up with a backlog when I get home.
- The SA dive instructor figures it’s a good idea to hit Thailand (Phi Phi islands) in January.
“Trust me, it’s paradise. This is where the hungry come to feed. For mine is a generation that circles the globe and searches for something we haven’t tried before. So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It’s probably worth it.” — Richard, The Beach.. goodbye Mykonos
- Next: I’m in London for a week, entertaining Mia.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.