I found a new home..
- Monday, tea, gym, swim, smoothie, toy shop, dropped Mia off, salad at Neo, Promenade walk with Keith, watched Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps at the Labia on Kloof.. not bad, entertaining.
- Tuesday, walked to the 38 Special, had an omelette for breakfast with Jonathan, TrustFabric dev planning day at the Open Innovation Studio, lunch at Mugged, Devils Peak walk with Georg, sushi at Best of Asia.
- Wednesday, TrustFabric explainer video script writing, gym, Bakoven house visit, supper with Keith at Sidewalk Cafe.. pretty good this time.
- Thursday, Internetix, omelette at Manna, spinning, Fat Cactus in Mowbray, Kink.
- Friday, Lions Head walk with Antoine, WAPA Exco meeting, salad at Crush, Bakoven House visit, visited the Pod Hotel in Camps Bay, we released TrustFabric Alpha7.0, Sophia Loren Campari at Manna, Gardens Centre, sundowners on the deck of the new house with Georg, a drink Carlyle’s.
- Saturday, up early, moving day, I’m living in Bakoven again, a bit closer to the beach, first braai of the season with Georg, Mia, Naulene, PW, Ingi, Gerjo, Misi and Aiden.
- Now I just have to figure out gluten-free braai broodjies.
- Wealth is a by-product of pursuing a passion.
- Sunday, woke up next to Number One with my head on my Nasa pillow and a view of Lions Head, took a bath with a view of Lions Head, Georg and Nauls went home, braai meat for breakfast, Mia watched My Neighbour Totoro.. I took a nap, beach walk, Skype chat with Jacques.. who is back in London, we built 4 puzzles, gym, swim, gluten-free pizza, Mia fell asleep in the car on the way back home.
- Number One likes her new second home. I think Naulene and I are becoming friends.
- I feel like I’ve returned from a long holiday. It’s awesome to have all my stuff out of storage again.
“Go be that starving artist you’re afraid to be. Volunteer. Suck it up and travel. You were not born here to work and pay taxes. You were put here to be part of a vast organism to explore and create. Stop putting it off. The world has much more to offer than what’s on 15 televisions at TGI Fridays. Take pictures. Scare people. Shake up the scene. Be the change you want to see in the world.” – Jason Mraz
- Tunes of the week: Oakenfold Anthems
- At this point you are wondering about those flowers, right?
Have a fun week, crazy kids.
Public wifi sucks. It seems even FREE public wifi sucks.
I like to play with my iPod at gym. I convinced the gym manager to add a wifi router to the top floor so I can browse the web on the gym bike. Free internet on a bicycle. Sounds like a nice idea, right?
One problem: why do I have to keep typing in login credentials. Every time I go to the gym. Every time the stupid DHCP lease goes away.
So, now I’m back to just listening to podcasts.
The worst thing about public wifi is: the process of getting access to the network.
Let’s imagine a city which provides me with inexpensive metro-wifi pretty much anywhere.. not such a strange idea if we get some 700Mhz (Wifi 2.0) TV white spaces frequency. I’d still have to log in over and over and over and over. This is crazy.
How are we ever going to see mobile VoIP if we can’t solve this problem?
I want open access networks. I want roaming. I’m happy to do a bit of work up front, but after that I want this to.. all just work.
ps. Corporate Guest Wifi is just as bad. Even with all their expensive managed switches it’s always a big problem getting a guest wifi account.
Life, liberty and the pursuit of excitement..
- Monday, tea, gym, swim, smoothie, Nike factory shop, tea with Naulene at Manuka, dropped Mia off, dinner with Andrew at 96 Winery Road.
- We got Mia some shoes with laces, she seems keen to learn to tie a bow.
- Tuesday, slept till 11:00.. babies don’t sleep this good, spent the day at Wembley.. drinking tea, burger in a bowl at Da Vinci’s with Georg, jazz night at Asoka.. nice vanilla Martini’s.
- Wednesday, gym, swim, Crush, nap, Digital Cowboys at Cafe Chic, 27Dinner in the Old Castle Breweries building, Asoka.
- This no-gluten thing is actually pretty easy.
- Thursday, breakfast at DeliCat / Tokara in Stellenbosch with Jonathan, TrustFabric strategy day in Franschhoek, some video script writing, braai, Talisker.
- Friday, woke up in Franschhoek, omelette, lunch with Steve at Neo, bumped into Meg, Table Mountain walk with Georg, dinner at Jordan Wines restaurant, Wijnhuis with Anton, Georg, Andrew and Marcia, Mystic, Aandklas.
- I got Mia into a good school for 2011.
- Saturday, woke up in Stellenbosch, omelette at Lazari with Keith, met Naulene at Wembley, gym with Mia and her sister while Nauls went for a facial, chilli juice at Crush, Bakoven house visit and Beta Beach walk, aquarium, ice cream, fish and chips at Willoughby’s, selected some flowers to be delivered (a first).. why? hmm, maybe because of a text message in good English (no sms-lingo).
- Sunday, gym, swim, Llandudno Beach play-date, lunch at Deep Park, nap, watched Atlantis2, bath, read, sleep.
- Mia can now swim a whole length of the pool, underwater, holding on to my back.
- I think one of the best compliments I’ve ever gotten was that I surround myself with people who are very real.. which I guess is really a complement to all my friends. Thanks for putting up with my crazy ideas.
- Mia seems to love eating Pistachio nuts.
- How does it feel to have it all? – the question that keeps evolving.
- I suspect the best Capetonians are the ones who moved here about 10 years ago.
- Tunes of the week: Paul Van Dyk
Have a fun week, crazy kids.
Week three without Gluten. This post was delayed. I think I needed to process a few things.
- Week of 4-10 Oct, btw.
- Monday, woke up with mild food poisoning, made fresh juice, dropped Mia with Naulene.. found out Naulene was pregnant again, nap, Meerlust wine tasting with Georg and Milton.
- Something changed on Monday.
“Be cool on this shit, okay, cubbie?”,
“I mean, at least try to show both sides.”
“I need to find a baby for this father.”
“Yeah, I think I know what you mean.”
— Steve and Cubbie, Life Aquatic
- Tuesday, gym, Alpha6 tweaking at Jonathan’s, a salad at Mango Ginger in Obs, more Alpha6 tweaking, comedy night at the Purple Turtle with Georg, seared tuna at Asoka.
“In the end the only real value added to society at large is people building things which other people want. The rest are support-staff ;-)” — PW
- Wednesday, gym, salad at Crush, took a walk from Georg’s house up Table Mountain and back via Oranjezicht.
- Thursday, nurse checkup and VitB shot, a chat with Annette at Wembley, TrustFabric meeting at the yacht club, went to look around the Open Innovation studio with Max, Am I Collective “13” exhibition in Kloof st, Sidewalk Cafe with Georg and Cath.
- Seems I need more iron in my blood.. eat your broccoli and spinach kids.
- Friday, meeting with Scott, drove to Rocking the Daisies with Georg, night of mayhem, goood fun.
“The only DJ I can tolerate being fat is Carl Cox.” — Keith
- Tequila ice cream.. now there’s an idea.
- Saturday, woke up in the Kreef Hotel, spent some time by the dam, another night of mayhem.
- The RTD Red Bull tent was awesome.. good job Mike. Boo was good. Springbok Nude Girls was excellent. I put a fair bit of mileage on my sandals.
- Had a good nostalgia moment listening to the Nude Girls again.. 1996ish, Jacobs Ladder, Stellenbosch.. “you are my friend”.
“He’s on special drugs.” — OH at RTD, about Chris Chameleon/Boo
- Sunday, rainy day, drove back to Cape Town, watched The men who stare at goats at the Labia.. pretty good.. 3 Kings meets The Big Lebowski , fetched Mia.
- Tunes of the week: Behind the Sun – Chicane
- I figure you can narrow down life to two ideas: a) it’s a game, b) be thankful for being able to play.
I’m sure you had a fun week.. especially if you attended RTD.
Analysing the obvious again..
XRI and OpenID is broken. Yes, broken. Not compatible with planet Earth. Nice idea, but broken.
Yesterday, I was driving behind a little white van, I think it was a plumber or a cleaning service of sorts. The white van had some advertising on the back. Pretty standard, but not the first time I’ve spotted people getting something trivially simple so very wrong.
They had the wrong telephone number printed on the van. Some people just don’t get number formats. +27 21 123 4567 should give you Cape Town, South Africa.. but I’ve seen some creative failures.
Back to XRI:
This is from Wikipedia:
Composition of an Extensible Resource Identifier
An XRI starting with “=” is thought of identifying a person. An XRI starting with “@” identifies a company or organization. A starting “+” indicates a generic concept, subject or topic .
A “*” marks a delegation. For example with “=family*name”, “=family” delegates the resolving of its sub-XRI “name” to another resolver.
Groovy, but… WTF? Muppets.
People like Twitter names. They get it. Don’t even try and make it case sensitive. Try and explain XRI syntax to your grandmother.
Back to OpenID:
People like email addresses. They understand them. Enter Webfinger. Don’t try and make people remember URLs.
Remember kids, just because it’s cool, does not make it useful.
Week two without Gluten, week three without a fridge…
- Monday, processed some home movies with iMovie, gym, swim, lunch with Naulene at Manuka, dropped Mia off, viewed a house in Bakoven with Keith, salad at Keith’s house in Oranjezicht with Georg listened to some Tears for Fears and Bowie.
- Note to self: Tabasco on salad works well.
- Tuesday, gym, interesting chat with Rob Stokes, salad at Wembley, massage at Wembley clinic, walked from Georg’s house up to the cable car contour road, tuna salad with Tabasco, tea with Nicky.
- Wednesday, early Lions Head walk with Maz, chai tea and veggie omelette at Keith’s house, Bakoven house visit with Georg, a run along the cable car contour road, G-Star Raw shop’s 1st bday at the Waterfront with comedian John Vlismas.. funny guy, conveyor belt sushi, Asoka, Knoxville.
“As investors we always want to be fundamentally contrarian.” — Peter Thiel
- Thursday, blogged, meeting with Elodie and Adrian at Crush, a salad at Mimi’s with Jonathan in Obs, Devil’s Peak walk with Georg.. walked back via Rugby Road, tuna salad, tested TF Alpha6.
- Keith started blogging at a pace. I guess Andrew will have to go through another breakup before writing his second post.
- I kinda miss live music photography. Should make more of an effort.
- So after two weeks of trying to get more exercise I got on the scale at the gym and weighed exactly the same… but, I had converted 1.5% of my body mass from fat to muscle. Weight is a bit of a poor metric. The whole BMI thing is lame.
- Friday, Naulene dropped Mia off, car wash.. for the first time in about 2 months, 3-egg omelette, extended Kloof street shopping session, watched Despicable Me at the Waterfront.. very good.. I can relate, toy shop.. got Mia a new bicycle (without pedals), oyster shooter and sashimi platter at Willoughby’s.. introduced Mia to edemame, Mia watched Pocahontas.
- Funny, of the two children in my life, communicating with the 4yo is much easier than with the 29yo.
- Saturday, gym, swim, we built a pirate ship, Nicky invited us to a (pretty awesome) beach house at Misty Cliffs, beach walk, nice supper, bath, sleep.
- Sunday, woke up in Misty Cliffs with a beautiful view, Mia took a swim, brief Noordhoek farm village visit, stopped for a Chapmans Peak photo, Wellness Warehouse, nap, gym, swim, tuna salad, watched The Tale of Despereaux, bath, read, sleep.
- Mia’s favourite games: Mia the lift operator, packer vs. unpacker… some days I feel like all I do is put stuff back where Mia found them.
- Tunes of the week: I discovered a Fokofpolisiekar mix cd again.
See you at Rocking the Daisies, crazy kids.