- Monday, VC meeting at Sandbar.. last meeting of the year – start of my holiday, Little Beta Beach with Mia and Carel.
- Seems there is this rumour around Beta Beach that Johnny Depp bought our house. Must be the flag.
“Mia’s forefathers pulled wagons over Sir Lowry’s pass, before there was a Sir Lowry’s pass.” — Josh, about Mia winning a tug-of-war with the other kids
“Die ouens wat die wereld verander probeer nie baie hard om normaal te wees nie.” — Carel
- Tuesday, got Mia a second skin for swimming in the sea and a NASA pillow, dropped Mia with Naulene, g&t’s on the beach with Georg and Bienne. Georg worked on his NYE party set.
“Wat’s nuus? Is Naulene al weer swanger?” — Georg, after returning from his one week roadtrip.
- Wednesday, drove through to Bettys Bay with Georg, crayfish diving with Anton.. a bit cold, but I got 3 crayfish and I still fit in my wetsuit from 1997, braai with Andrew, Anton, Georg etc, a nigth out in Kleinmond, mostly Gringo’s bar.
“Enough with the back-seat-braaing.” — Andrew
- Thursday, woke up in Bettys, drove to Cape Town, nap, pizza with Bienne, watched Rushmore and Gattaca again.
“I never saved anything for the swim back.” — Vincent, Gattaca
- Friday, slept till 10am, fetched Mia, drove through to Bettys Bay, xmas eve braai.
- Saturday, woke up in Bettys, awesome xmas lunch, swim, a long nap, the perfect day.
- Sunday, woke up in Bettys, drove back to Cape Town, stopped for ice cream in Pringle, braai in Bakoven, Little Beta Beach, Paul, Claus and Jami came over for sundowners, had a few g&t’s with Georg and Bienne.
“Don’t diss the douchebags, they pay taxes.” — Claus
“It’s the mark of a very, very young soul to try and fix the world.” — Chuck Palahniuk
“The difference between how you look and how you see yourself is enough to kill most people. And maybe the reason vampires don’t die is because they can never see themselves in photographs or mirrors.” — Chuck Palahniuk
- Tune of the week: Can’t Stand It – Morcheeba
Get ready for a new years party, crazy kids.
I’m finding it hard to convince myself to leave the house.. and the beach.
- Monday, day without using my car, photo processing, had a paella at Sotano with Keith.
- Tuesday, got up early, made slides for a VC pitch, first TrustFabric VC pitch, lunch with Bienne at Crush-Wembley, beach time, Mango-OMC year end function at Buena Vista – V&A, Trinity club opening party in Green Point with Bienne and Keith, sushi at Soho in De Waterkant.
“So, you are the ex from hell?” — Bienne, about the recent high court story
“I believe that if you get into a relationship with heroin, it should be for an operation.” — Keith
- Somebody asked how I’d measure the success of TrustFabric: I figure.. when nobody gets excited about it anymore and it’s just assumed to be there.
- Wednesday, installed the Mac Mini Server in the Frogfoot DC, shopping for two backup hard disks, salad at Neo, hot chocolates with Ed at Cafe Sofia – Camps Bay, Lions Head walk with Bienne, a drink at Manhattans, James Zabiela at Trinity with Keith.. pretty awesome.
- Thursday, fetched Mia in SSW, pizza in Stellenbosch, Debby’s braai in Jonkershoek, Little Beta Beach, bath, read, sleep.
- Friday, car license renewal, gym, swim, Mia and I had our hair cut at Bianca’s.. Mia seems to like scalp massages, Little Beta Beach, we hoist the Pirate flag again (had to take it down because of the wind last week), animal corn pasta, we watched Fantastic Mr Fox together.
- Saturday, How to Train your Dragon, gym, swim, Little Beta Beach, photo processing, made supper for Paul and Lindsey.
- Sunday, watched Megamind at V&A with Mia.. very good, toy shop, Little Beta Beach, salad at Neo, Mouille Point play area, made pasta for supper, a bottle of Graham Beck bubbly with Bienne on the deck.
- The only xmas gift I bought this year: Playmobil Knights Empire castle.
- Mia seems to like Coconut milk more than soy and oats milk.
“I’m well, thanks.” — Mia, when you ask her “how are you?”, much better than the usual “fine”.
- Naulene thinks my real Super Hero talent is to be irritating.
- Mia points at some coins and asks “Can you do the trick to make money disappear?”. I say, no I’m not a magician. “What do you do?” I’m an entrepreneur. Entrepreneurs start businesses. Businesses sell things people want. So, what does your dad do? “He makes money.” And what does your Mom do: “She tricks people to give her money.” Something like that.
Have a fun holiday, crazy kids.
I should really write something other than just weekly updates soon..
- Monday, Lions Head walk, got a Mac Mini Server and a normal Mac Mini, configured RAID1 on the server version, ribs special at Hussar Grill – Camps Bay with Jonathan.
“Lunch is for wimps.” — Gordon Gekko, “Gluten is for wimps.” — Joe
- Tuesday, Lions Head walk, we released TrustFabric Beta1, Beta party on Beta Beach.. a braai for ~17 people.
- There is something about walking up to a very hot woman on the beach and starting a conversation that’s scary.. but makes you feel alive.
“You have a butler?” — Will
- Wednesday, watched Evita at Theatre on the Bay with Keith.. very good show, swim, nap, walked to Glen Beach, photo processing.
- I spotted an RS5 this week. Pretty awesome.
- An interview with me with a bit of Indiana Jones fun.
- I figure varsity is really about meeting interesting people.
- Thursday, work, gym, waterfront shopping, Mac Mini Server setup, migrated parts of my Aperture library to my new photo processing workstation.
- Friday, got up early to install OSX Server _again_, Mia end of year school concert.. which I filmed in full HD with the 5DmkII, brunch with Naulene and Mia at Manuka, Frogfoot office to prep the Mac server.. which failed, Digicape visit.. gave up, muppets, lunch with Cath at Fugu in Wembley Square, email processing, g&t’s at home with Georg and Romy.. DJ Georg worked on his NYE set: “big room tunes”.
- To quote Mia’s first word: “more”.
Joe: “Are you saying you want money?”
Joe: “Well, I guess you should have married me then.”
[Mia finds this very funny and starts laughing]
— Part of a negotiation about who looks after Mia on NYE
- Saturday, packing, switched my laptop off for the first time.. in a long time, drove to Stanford, played photographer at Jonathan’s wedding, stayed at a Hadeda’s Lodge in Stanford.. which I can recommend.
“Don’t think too much.” — A text message from Naulene.
- Sunday, woke up in Standford, had an omelette, drove to Grabouw at 7am, walked Suicide Gorge for the 7th time with Anton, Georg, Bienne, PW, Nick, Edward, Anton Louw, Hans, Gerjo and Misi.. awesome fun, Yellow Tail and chips at Trawlers in Gordon’s Bay, sunset Camps Bay walk, slept like a baby.
“Congratulation. It took me the best part of an hour to work up the balls to do that.” — Keaty, The Beach
- Gordons Bay: a small drinking town with a big fishing problem.
- Tune of the week: Someone’s Missing, MGMT
Have a fun holiday, crazy kids.
The last few weeks of 2010..
- Monday, a day without moving my car, cleaned up a Mia disaster area (room) for 30min, green smoothie, admin day, FaceTime with Mia – iPod Touch, penne alla arrabiata at Primi with Georg and Keith.
- Tuesday, Lions Head walk, Clinton Beach walk, Little Beta Beach swim, walked from Bakoven through Camps Bay up some jeep-track towards the 12 Apostles, upgraded the media server to Ubuntu 10.10.
- Wednesday, open access network project meeting, 2.5 hour spinning class.
- Thursday, nurse visit, vitB shot, made an awesome pasta for lunch, Little Beta Beach swim.. jumped off one of the bigger rocks, did some x509 CA structure planning, Paul Cluver Chardonnay.
- Friday, played with intermediary CA certs, Naulene dropped Mia off, we went shopping in the Waterfront, found a few nice dresses.
- Saturday, swimming lesson, Mia went to a birthday party, SA vs Barbarians rugby, braai with Gerjo and Misi.
- Sunday, ~family day, breakfast at Deer Park with Mia, Naulene and Francis, nap, fish and chips at the aquarium, ice cream, Mia went home with Naulene, Signal Hill sunset, chai tea at Cafe Sofia – Camps Bay – with Keith and Romy.
- After a longer than usual chat with Naulene, I think I’ve made peace with a few things. As strange as this situation is, I now accept that this is probably the best outcome.
- A Camps Bay local called me a Camps Bay local. I guess I’ve been hanging around here long enough.
“Great companies have a sense of purpose beyond just making money.” ~ Peter Thiel
- Tune of the week: 1980, from White Light
Have a fun week, crazy kids.