- Monday, we decided to take a day off after Beta 3.0, some reading and blogging, braai leftovers and Chardonnay, beach time, phoned Mia, nap, awesome sunset (full moon-rise) walk around Lions Head, steamed veg and Chardonnay.
- Tuesday, walked to Clifton 1st, met Tim at Neo, fetched Jonathan, strategy and planning day at the Royal Cape Yacht Club, bought Mia her first wetsuit, haircut at Bianca’s, beach walk.
- Wednesday, work, Twankey for a Guinness with Andy, supper at Fork, drinks at Boo Radley’s, Tequila Town (we had some El Jimaro, Hornitos, Patron Citronge), Neigbourhood.
- I merged my three Aperture libraries this week. Modern disk IO sucks.
- Thursday, two VC meetings, burger at Da Vinci’s with Georg, a beer at Van Hunks.
“The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads… That sucks.” — Jeff Hammerbacher
- Friday, woke up in Somerset West, family day, breakfast at Deli Cat – Tokara, lunch at Bodega – Dornier, drove back to Cape Town with Mia, Little Beta for a first swim in her new wetsuit.. it fits, bath, read, 12h sleep.
- Playing dad of three is hard work.
- Saturday, raw chocolate smoothie, gym, swim, shopping, got a bottle of Suntory Yamazaki 18yo single malt, drove to Franschhoek to visit Nikki and Andrew, Suntory time.
- Sunday, watched cartoons with Mia, Easter egg hunt (thanks Nikki), pizza in Franschhoek: Easter Sunday lunch for a family of two, watched Mega Mind on Blu-ray at home, bath, read, sleep.
- Tunes of the week: REM, Strange Currencies and Electrolite.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.
Welcome to the diary of Joe.. confessions of somebody who three years ago figured he needed more structure and routine, so he started this weekly update thing.. to give him something to do while sipping Chardonnay.
- Monday, watched Coraline, P fetched Mia, sushi day, photo shoot again.. I now have a reflector, awesome sunset swim, steamed veg, photo processing, babies don’t sleep this good.
- Watch this: Storm
- Tuesday, work, sunset Camps Bay beach walk.
- I suspect that sometimes we need to be both wrong and stubborn to make progress.
- Ugly Kid Joe – Cats In The Cradle
- Wednesday, beach walk, bumped into Morgan on Clifton 1st, work, walked to Glen Beach, dinner at Bombay Brasserie – Taj Hotel – with Keith.. good food, some Paul Cluver Gewurztraminer and in all probability the best spinach I’ve ever had.
“Success is in the sincerity of the pursuit.” — from this article
- I sometimes wonder how many decisions a startup business makes in the first two years. Has to be a big number.
- Thursday, backups day, we launched Beta 3.0, burger and beer at Primi with Jonathan, g&t on Little Beta, watched The Prodigy Warrior’s Dance Festival – Milton Keynes at Cavendish with Paul, Etienne and Lia, a few drinks at Tin Roof.. interesting place.
- I never did like Cavendish. It’s not the real Cape Town.
- Friday, nurse visit.. iron is up after all that Rocket and Broccoli, swapped a shirt, software demo, nap, dinner at Cafe Paradiso with Georg.. good food, goodbye drinks at Aiden’s.. he’s off to Thailand for a few days.
- Saturday, read 1/2 of “Bringing nothing to the party“, nap, read, nap, read, sunset beach walk, Dranged party at Salt Vodka bar in Bantry Bay.. I was going to take photos, but I simply wasn’t in the mood.. some creative prima donna thing.. or maybe I just like taking photos of happy people.
- In context, I’ve only read two books this year.. so trust me, this is a good book. I’ve also read about 10% of 4 other books, which sucked.
“I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.” — Hunter S. Thompson
“Startups are 80% fun and 20% hard work.” — Paul Carr
“Nobody knows anything.” — Paul Carr
- Sunday, family day.. I was on Clifton 4 at 10:00. By 10:30 I was trying not to get worked up about Naulene being late for Mia’s micro-nippers class which started just after 10:00, the four of them arrived at 10:45 – What’s Fonzie like?… mostly because this was her first time driving with 3 kids, beach time, salad at home, Waterfront shopping, Little Beta beach time, drinks with Shannon and Bienne, Kris’s going away braai, Keith made an awesome cheese cake.
- I have to say, playing dad of three for a day is amusing, but it’s probably not something you want to do every day. I have no idea how Naulene manages to be a single parent of three. Crazy shit.
- Watch this: Today.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.
15 Seconds of fame..
- Monday, forgot to give Mia her (big) birthday present at the party so I gave it to her.. we started building her Lego pirate ship, gym, Orms visit with Ernst, omelet and chai tea on the Green Sofa, more pirate ship building, fish and chips at Ocean Blue – Camps Bay, dropped Ernst at the airport, dropped Mia with Naulene, photo processing.
- Tuesday, beach walk with Cath and a drink at Caprice, Guinness at Twankey Bar with Aiden, cocktails at Brio, Luke and Simon’s birthday at Asoka.. Jazz night, bumped into Etienne and Leia.
“Instead of what you would normally consider to be chaos, there is a pattern.” — Aiden, about Sundays in Caprice
- Deadmau5 is the new Moloko.
- Wednesday, photo processing, made tuna pasta, sunset photo shoot with Ingi, supper at Simply Asia with Cath, a drink at Fatback Soul (Long Street).. Pierre was DJ’ing.
- Strong winds blew over the house’s flag post. No more pirate flag. Arrrgh!!
- Thursday, got two shirts at BlueCollarWhiteCollar, Kauia breakfast, fetched Mia, lunch at Manuka, wine tasting at Lourensford, tea with Naulene and family at Chatters, dropped Mia at Naulene’s, played photographer at Aiden’s Art, Lindt and Lexus evening, fetched Mia and put her to bed in Cape Town, some The Chocolate Block wine and Lourensford Honey Liqueur.
- It seems I ended up in a video about BlueCollarWhiteCollar.
- All stocked up on hugs again I think.
- Friday, Lego pirate ship building, watched Princess Diaries, art projects around the house, lunch at Kauai, watched Rio at V&A.. pretty good, shopping, sunset beach walk, completed construction of the pirate ship.
- Saturday, pirate ship photo session, watched Despicable Me, gym, swimming lessons, got Mia a box of 6 new Leapfrog Tag books, we watched Gnomeo and Juliet at V&A with Keith.. pretty good, Mouille Point spiral monkey bars, a few sunset beers with Aiden and Georg, Cath made stir fry, bath, read, sleep, glass of wine with Andy.
- Finished reading the fokof biography. Entertaining read.
“Prioriteit nommer een: kom lewendig hier uit.” — Hunter Kennedy
- Sunday, nippers, got the new Leapfrog books working with the pen (lame UK/US zone issue), gym, swim, Keith had a big lunch at home for ~15 people, beach time, sunset beach photo session, Beta Rd play area, bath, read, sleep, Andrew and Etienne came over, Carlsberg party in Camps Bay with Tori and Kate.
- Keith figures I look like the lifeguard of Little Beta beach with my red swimming shorts.
- Tune of the week: Deadmau5, 4×4=12
- Find fun. Find routine.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.
Mia’s 5th birthday weekend..
- Yeah, this post is late, it’s for the week of 28 March to 3 April.. I’ve been busy.
- Monday, omelette at Sand Bar with Ernst, Mia visit.. lupper at Manuka, dropped Ernst at the airport, photo processing.
- Tuesday, design session with Mike, Mia bday cake arrangements, some Aperture self education, misty sunset walk to Clifton, photo processing, three bean salad, babies don’t sleep this good.
- It’s been about 1.5yrs since I got a DSLR. Need to figure out the next level.
- Wednesday, work, never left the house.
“Niemand lewe rerig nie.” – Fokofpolisiekar, good music for driving.
- Thursday, phoned Mia for her birthday, client meeting in De Waterkant, fetched Mia, Waterfront party shopping session, fish and chips and calamari at Willoughby’s, fight club moment, toy shop, shoe shopping, food shopping, got Mia a winter jacket, Little Beta swim, bath, steamed veg, read, sleep.
“The people you are after are the people you depend on. We cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not fuck with us.” — Tyler Durden. Ernst quoted this at the Groovy Troopers party, saying that this is the new Fight Club generation. He was right. I had a bit of a Fight Club moment sitting down for lunch on Thursday as the waiter and I kinda knew each other from the last few outdoor parties.
- Friday, How to train your Dragon, gym, swim, met Ernst at Knead (he flew down again), Mia had her usual ham and pineapple pizza, Bienne joined us for a beer, Little Beta swim with a glass Springfield Method Ancienne Chardonnay, bath, read, sleep, Ernst had a few tequila slammers.. then joined Crackbook (which he has been resisting for years) and walked around in my 5 finger shoes.
- Georg had a girl.friend visiting for the weekend.
- Saturday, hoisted a Mia party flag, Neo brekkie, swimming lesson, fetched the cake at Charly’s, party shop, Mia’s 5th birthday party on Little Beta Beach.. cake, fun and friends.
- Yes, I had some of the birthday cake. First cake in about 6 months.
- Mia had three birthday parties this year: school, mom’s and dad’s house. Perks of the non-nuclear family.
- With Mia turning 5yo I’m a bit worried about the gym’s play area having an age limit of 7.
- Driving past Neo I made some comment about the “cool kids”. Mia figured I was talking about “cool cats”. I asked her if her mom is a cool cat.. she answered.. no, she’s an “angry cat”.
“It’s Lone Ranger time: ten to ten to ten.” – Ernst
- Sunday, got up at 5ish, Love and Light festival near Rawesonville with Ernst, played photographer, Mia spent the day with Lara, we met at Kirstenbosch for an aKing show.
- It seems Dr. Ernst’s secret social filter is teeth. He figures a girl’s teeth say a lot about her.
- Another really super awesome weekend. Lots of photos to process.
“Short, sharp and shattering.” — Ernst’s theme
- Tune of the week: Monoloog in Stereo, Fokofpolisiekar.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.