Indiana Jones weekend…
- Monday, gym, swim, sauna, fetched Mia from school, au pair interview, bicycle research at Flandria.
- I can bench 80kg again, took me 9min to swim 500m. Next stop: bench body weight again, swim 15min/km.
- Found a blog similar to mine: http://acraig.za.net/blog/ – since Sept 2011.
- Tuesday, bit of a disaster dropping Mia off at school as she forgot her bag, gym, Chinese massage, worked from home, meeting at Mxit – more exit negotiations, fetched Mia, food shopping, steamed veg.
- Mia’s school has two owls who live in a tree there, pretty cool.
- Wednesday, dropped Mia at school + chat with her teacher, gym, one of those entrepreneurship high days again, meetings with Luke and Keet in Cape Town, email catch-up at Wembley, Newlands Forest walk, meeting with Rob at Silwood Kitchen – a 50yr old cooking school, a beer with Etienne at Van Hunks, Knock Knock bar with Dan.
- Mia went for her first Judo class and loved it.
- Thursday, dropped Mia at school, gym, meeting with the guys from i3 in Woodstock, lunch with Tobie, met with some new investors, salad at Col’caccio with Mia.
“The guy that loves his friends is here.” — from LKB’s Twitter short desc.
“Sell on cheese. Buy on apples.” — Rob, about wine.
- Friday, bit of a disaster morning – heavy traffic out of Stellenbosch (1st years), tears because we were late for school, Urban striker meeting in Cape Town with Luke, fetched some wine glasses from Al’s, lunch with Maia and Werner, Skype tech workshop, Mia’s first athletics day, Round House with Paul and Etienne, stayed at Fire and Ice Hotel, Aces and Spades with Claus and the Irish girls, Kinky Disco at Fiction.
- Saturday, Blue Rock wake boarding with Andrew, installed some paid-for iPad games for Mia – we deleted most of the free (add driven) stuff, nap, took a walk to get some ice cream, took a long walk around Stellenbosch, we watched Raiders of the Lost Ark.
“He looks like Han Solo” — Mia about Indiana Jones
- Interesting watching Raiders of the Lost Ark after visiting The Wailing Wall last year.
- Sunday, watched Temple of Doom, Naulene fetched Mia for the day, lunch at Olivello at Marianne Wines with Werner at Janette, nap, a walk around Stellenbosch, Naulene dropped Mia off, in bed early for school.
- I’ve stopped drinking coffee again. All the free Mxit coffee in 2012 was nice, but not ideal.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.
Moved some servers this week… easy way to bring a new server up to speed.
dpkg –get-selections > package_list
cat package_list | dpkg –set-selections && apt-get dselect-upgrade
The start of a whole new week…
- Monday, green smoothie, tea with Alan in the Botanical Garden, omelette at TasteBud, Mia and I went for a tour of the Stellenbosch Town museum – well worth it, gym, swim.
- Note to self: take more (DSLR) photos in 2013.
- Tuesday, house cleaning day, fetched some tea from Andrew, got Mia a school uniform, Audi visit, got Mia some school shoes, Gust Tickets API demo, body boarding at Strand Beach, in bed early for school.
- Wednesday, up at 6:30, red reishi tea, green smoothie with pea and hemp protein, Mia’s first day in “the big school” – Grade 1, meeting day, fetched Mia from school, Street Soiree in Church street (mini wine festival), braai at Dirk’s house, carried Mia to bed.
- When it rains, it pours. Being a full time single dad and running around looking for startup funding is an interesting challenge.
- I had to leave the Silicon Cape committee.
- Thursday, reishi, dropped Mia at school, gym, negotiated the exit of TrustFabric and Gust from WoA, lunch with Dirk and CJ at Blaawklippen, fetched Mia from school, mission impossible getting a 2nd set of keys together for my house again, initial agreement on our next investment, school info session while Mia baked cup cakes with Janette, Kudu steak braai at Werner’s house.
- It’s hard to explain the highs, lows, uncertainty and adventure of tech entrepreneurship to those who have not yet experienced it. Thursday was a high. Friday was a low.
- Friday, reishi, dropped Mia at school, gym, meeting day in Cape Town, fetched Mia from school, Gust demo/training, Mia stayed with Celeste, Campari at 5 Reyneveld with Al and Georg, supper at Anton’s house, a drink at Trumpet with Anton, Georg, Al and Peter.
- Mia discovered YouTube on her iPad, found her watching a Disney movie – had to tweak the restrictions.
- Saturday, Mia got up and put her school uniform on – rather disappointed that it was not a school day, green smoothie, photo processing, upgraded to 4Mbps ADSL line, gym, swim, shopping, Thys make us an awesome dinner at Al’s house with Johann and Victoria, Mia and I played in the pool for a long time, Mia was the DJ.
- I took (kept) 50% more photos in 2011 than in 2012. Bummer. Then again, I think I’ve become a lot more brutal with editing photo sets down to only good ones.
- At first I was a bit bummed that the Stellenbosch gym does not have a leisure pool – but swimming in the big pool with Mia is fun. I swim laps, she ducks down under me every time I pass her.
- Sunday, Naulene fetched Mia for a day in Hermanus, photo processing (1st school day), gym, Beta beach with Dan, drove past three of my old houses, fish and calamari at Brass Bell and a rather fun evening with some Spanish air hostesses who we met at Polana, Cape Town Jazz, summer evening – can’t complain, took the coastal road back to Stellenbosch.
- Turns out Dan was mentioned in a Paul Carr book.
- Tune of the week: Forget about what I said – Killers.
After the copyright warning, there is another warning on the DVD. This warning is from Tyler Durden, and is only there for a second. “If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this is useless fine print is another second off your life. Don’t you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can’t think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you’re supposed to read? Do you think everything you’re supposed to think? Buy what you’re told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you’re alive. If you don’t claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned… Tyler”
- How’s the health thing going? Pretty good, finding it easy to avoid grains, sugar and dairy. Getting more regular exercise. I can bench 70kgs again. Feel like I’m in better shape. Not much weight loss, 89kg. Need to lose another 2kg to be in the same shape I was in Jan 2012.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.
Full-time single dad…
- Monday, first meeting of the year, green smoothie, gym – kettle bells, got Mia a body board, Strand beach with Mia and Werner, Mia caught her first long wave ride with a board, got Mia some Xylitol sweets – good for the teeth, steamed veg, introduced Mia to Beethoven’s 5th Piano concerto, bath, read, sleep.
- Tuesday, tea in the Botanical Garden (our new office), gym, bodyboarding in Strand, medium rare fillet at Hussar Grill with Mia, Paul and Al – try their biltong.
- Wednesday, Mia watched Deep Space Homer – the space ants one, omelette with Parri at Basic Bistro, watched Zambezia with Mia – not bad, grading is a bit weird, looked like they could up the contrast in most scenes, imported all Mia’s 2005-2010 photos into Aperture (which was a bitch), sunset walk around Stellenbosch.
- They grow up so quickly, 2-7, 5yrs of being little (and very cute) really.
- Looks like Mia is staying with me all of January and February.
- Thursday, breakfast in the botanical garden with Jan and Werner, tea with Luke, a walk around Stellenbosch with Mia, salad at Col’caccio.
- Browsed through about 15k photos of/with Mia. You can learn a lot about yourself by browsing 5 years of photos. The good and bad choices seem obvious somehow. Also, I miss Cape Town.
- Friday, moar photo importing, put about 18k (2006-2010) photos on Mia’s iPad – interesting what she remembers and what she does not, took two photos to the print shop, gym, swim, present shopping for Werner and Al, Mia framed and decorated two photos – one of me as a child, one of her as a baby, Werner’s birthday drinks at Trumpet Tree, dropped a wetsuit at Peter’s house.
- I discovered that I’m Vitality Diamond status this year.
- Now I understand why people by 32GB iPads – their photo collections don’t fit in 16GB.
- Focus on excitement, adventure and good experiences. The rest is details. Probably a good investment strategy also.
- Saturday, gym, Al’s birthday party at Middelvlei, Victoria and Johann’s house, precocious – word of the day, fish and salad, bath, read, sleep.
- Sunday, Root 44 market with Andrew, Emma and Dave, James’ house, Andrew’s house to cook some Red Reishi in a pressure cooker, La Pineta with Paul and Laura.
- Tune of the week: Bach’s Air on a G-string, from his 3rd orchestral suite in D major.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.
Enter 2013 – the detox begins…
- Monday, New Earth NYE party at Zevenwacht with Paul and Al, Johann, Kerrin, Jill and Elizabeth – cool people.
- Tuesday, Rezonance with Al and Paul.
- Wednesday, start of a 30 day healthy eating plan, lunch with Georg, a walk around Jan Marais park, watched Zoolander again – that petrol station scene must be the funniest scene in a movie ever, a steak at Hussar Grill with Georg.
- Seems Mia may be living with me most of January.
- Mia asked me to install chess on her iPad – she seems to like it.
- Thursday, fetched Mia, Mia’s first drive-through car wash, omelette, got Mia a new toothbrush – she’s now very entertained with brushing her teeth, kicked a ball around Coetzenburg, Star Wars ep5, watched The Big Lebowski, 13h sleep – new record.
- Friday, Star Wars ep4, omelette at Basic Bistro, nap, built some Technic Lego with Mia, Mia built four puzzeles while I wasted time on Facebook – sad but true, dad and daughter visit to the hair salon, cupcake ingredient shopping, 11h sleep.
- Saturday, gym – first kettle bell session, swim, we watched Cape Feare : Simpsons – best episode ever, baked 24 cupcakes for Francis’ birthday – while listening to The Killers, Mia caught her first wave – body surfing at Strand beach, snoek and salad at Trawlers / Gordon’s Bay with Georg – his last day here before moving to Durban.
- 30 day health goal: 35yo, 1.82m, 90kg, 23% body fat (+- 2% BIA), aiming for 85kg at the end of the month. BIA is not super accurate, but the relative difference should be interesting.
- Mia: 6yo, 1.3m, 29kg. 97th percentile, less biltong for her.
- Sunday, Francis’ 4th birthday party, super tube rides at Strand Beach – good fun, a swim in the sea – Mia loves the waves, she’s asked for a body board, supper at La Pineta, an episode of The Simpsons, bath, read, sleep.
- Mia seems to really enjoy The Simpsons.
- They sell access to the super tubes by the hour. Mia made a friend soon after we arrived. Cute 8yo girl. They played and chatted like best friends an hour and then they simply said “Bye.” and “Bye.” At first I thought that was a bit sad, but then I figured it’s a lot like our NYE party.
Have a fun 2013, crazy kids.
- Monday, a Campari at Coopmanshuis with Paul.
- Tuesday, xmas lunch and a swim at Andrew’s parent’s house.
- Wednesday, woke up at Andrew’s house, lunch at In the Vine with Andrew, Michael John and Natalia, watched Skyfall – pretty good, a sunset walk around Stellenbosch.
- Thursday, car wash, omelette at Food Lover’s Market – good value, some xmas shopping – got Mia a lightsaber and Lego, fetched Mia from her mom’s house, watched Star Wars – Episode II, kicked a rugby ball around Coetzenburg, watched Star Wars Clone Wars episodes.
- Friday, first visit to the new Stellenbosch Virgin Active, swim, drove to Betty’s.
- Saturday, made Chimichurri sauce, swim, braai, soft serve ice cream in Gordon’s bay.
- Sunday, Clone Wars episodes, gym, dropped Mia at her mom’s house, nap, a burger at 5 Reyneveld with Al, Georg and Mitzi.
- Georg is single again.
- Two major breakups in my life so far (how I got dumped): 1) via a Facebook relationship status change, 2) via a text message. Classy.
“Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever the fuck you were gonna do anyway.” — Robert Downey Jr.
- Good read: the war on “evaporated cane juice”
Have a fun week, crazy kids.
One does not simply go to Love & Light the day after walking Suicide Gorge…
- Holiday mode… week of 17-23 Dec.
- Monday, public holiday, braai and swimming at Maia’s house with Frans and Georg.
- Georg moved into my house for a while – until he moves to Durban.
- Tuesday, drove to Hermanus with Mia.
“The queen bit you.” — Mia, about a big mozzie bite.
- Wednesday, old harbour breakfast, Hemel and Aarde Valley wine tour – Hamilton Russel, Newton Johnson, Ataraxia – good Chardonnay, braai in Betty’s with Anton and Peter.
- Thursday, crayfish dive, Mia’s first shot with an air rifle, dropped Mia off in Stellenbosch, supper with Parri and Georg at Slug and Lettuce – try the rump espetada, good value.
- Anton got a new dog – cute but very busy.
- Friday, walked/jumped Suicide Gorge for the 8th time, a springbok pie at Peregrine farm stall.
- Saturday, Love & Light with Paul, Andrew and Claus.
- Sunday, a swim at Dennis’ house with Paul and Al.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.