Mia turns 7…
- Monday, up at 5:00, gym, office, UK Skype meeting, moar house unpacking.
- Gust on Tech Report
- Tuesday, a walk up the Eerste Rivier, green smoothie, set up a new bank account for Gust with new co docs, some ARBurn 2.0 planning at Brampton with Jan and Werner, ribs with Werner at Apres, gelato.
- Pressure innovation: 4th time in 2 years, when you find yourself in a space where you need to figure out something new and interesting very quickly.
- Wednesday, walked to Lanzerac, haircut at Lize’s, AfrikaBurn planning meeting #2 at Brampton Wine Studio, the last Street Soiree for a while with Paul, Gust’s 1st birthday braai and office warming – Janette baked a (colour layer) Gust cake.
- Thursday, office, Easter Weekend begins, watched Safe House – interesting Cape Town scenes, sunset walk around Stellenbosch, watched Entourage Season 2.
- Friday, grapefruit, Earl Grey and Fleetwood Mac, Georg came to visit from Durban, eggs Benedict with at Apprentice with Georg (not that good), a beer at Jan Kats, Entourage, ribs at Apres (seems you can swap the chips for veg), Naulene dropped Mia at my house at 19:30 after we agreed she would come to my house at 15:00 – brain hurt, put Mia to bed with some reading, watched As Good As It Gets again – brilliant as always.
- I asked Mia on Friday if she wanted to open her birthday present (more time to build it), but she only wanted to open it on Sunday.
- Finally hooked up the Mac Mini to the Hifi, good music again.
- Next time I move I’m taking three days off to unpack. This 1/2 unpacked state is not good for me.
- Saturday, watched Hawl’s Moving Castle, tea, grapefruit, omelettes, shopping – got Mia hockey shin pads, gum guard and a training ball, Siena’s 7th birthday party, watch the Cheetah’s game with the other parents, we watched parts of How to Train Your Dragon – mostly to explain what Subwoofers do, bath, read, sleep.
“..and where is your lovely wife?” — those mildly uncomfortable questions at children’s parties.
- Mia asked about getting movies to play on the TV/Hifi, so I drew her a diagram. I suspect she now gets what most people buying expensive home entertainment systems don’t get.
- Sunday, Mia’s 7th birthday, Anton phoned, Mia opened her present: the Lego Death Star – she loved it, Easter eggs, tea with vanilla milk while watching Castle in the Sky, Naulene fetched Mia.. an hour late.. and then dropped her off again 1.5 hours late, lunch at Deer Park with Mia and Francis, big and little Beta Beach with Mia, Francis and Georg, drove back explaining freedom of speech to Mia with an example about crayfish quotas, bath, read, Francis sleep-over, last bit of Entourage S2
- I think we all miss Bakoven.
- Spray plaster: ultimate cure for a few light scrapes.
- More than an hour late three times in three days. Pro tip, kids: when you reproduce, find somebody that has some respect for other people’s time.
“Control is a funny thing, you don’t realise how little of it you have until you have nothing at all.” — Entourage
Have a fun week, crazy kids.
Last week of summer…
- Monday, raw green smoothie, school run, Waterstone gym (Twitter reading), backups day, office, Andrew took me to visit his 450l barrel of Chenin at Devon Valley to do a balling measurement (-1.8), Mia managed to bump her head jumping on mattresses in the spare room while I was out with Andrew, ice pack, a glass of Chardonnay with Andrew, Monkey Island, bath, Mia read me some Jungle Book, sleep.
“They should just have a big party until August.” — Werner, about WeChat and competing with Naspers and the Chinese.
- Tuesday, up at 6:30, tea, grapefruit and 9 egg-white scrambled eggs – which is not trivial to prepare in 15min while getting a 6yo ready for school, school run, music appreciation: Achtung Baby – she liked the intro to Ultra Violet, Waterstone gym, Stellenbosch gym – the Mens Health Spartacus workout – mostly functional training, office, some market research with merchants around town with Luke.
- School run days really feel like the rat race. Would not want to do it every day.
- Wednesday, green smoothie, school run, gym, office, a beer with Luke, ribs and pizza with Mia at Gino’s, gelato.
- Thursday, school holiday begins, public holiday, omelettes, we finished The Curse of Monkey Island (the 3rd one), braai at Andrew’s house, bath, read, sleep.
- Friday, gym with Mia, installed Monkey Island 1 for Mia, dropped Mia with Naulene, Long Table at Haskell with Werner, Dirk and Falk, Rust en Vrede, Georg came to visit for the weekend, finally unpacked my TV and Hifi.
“Net arm mense het tatoos.” — Georg
- Saturday, breakfast at Basic, galato, 5 Reyneveld, watched Ted – good movie, Brampton, watched the Stormers game at Jan Kats, Stomme Jonge – more than one vodka and Granedine shot.
- Sunday, watched Entourage Season 1, breakfast in the botanical garden, a long nap, babies don’t sleep this well.
- I kinda miss having a wristwatch. Seems I do check it more often that I care to check the time on my phone.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.
Recently happily divorced…
“This girl needs to go shark cage diving.” — Paul. How I woke up on Monday.
- Monday, woke up on the couch, watched The Watch – awesome movie, dropped Paul at his house, took a day off, joined Pinterest, sunset walk around Stellenbosch.
- I’m developing a bit of an ice cream addiction.
“I speak fluently in movie quotes.”
“I gain no deeper knowledge of myself; no new knowledge can be extracted from my telling. This confession has meant nothing.” — Bateman
- Tuesday, gym – bench pressed 100Kg (one rep max), fetched some Woordfees related Gust equipment, March #HackSTB event.
- My watch strap broke. First my cooler box goes missing, now this. Still can’t believe somebody took my cooler box at Love and Light.
- Wednesday, gym with Werner, a walk around Stellenbosch with Luke, meeting day, Stellenbosch Street Soiree, AfrikaBurn theme camp meeting at Brampton, drinks at De Stomme Jonge with Johann, Victoria and Pieter – more than one Vodka and Grenadine shot.
- Ever feel like you had much more time a year ago?
- Some HackSTB news.
- Thursday, house cleaning, Ernst arrived, a drinks safari around Stellenbosch, Akker, Trumpet, Bartinney wine bar with Elke and Lize, Campari at Coopmanshuis, Brampton with Susan and a steak at Hussar with Paul who brought some Jordan Chardonnay and Simonsig Tiara.
“Because I did not rave safe.” — Paul, about his moonboot.
“Everything is asymmetric.” — Ernst
- Friday, Ernst got up at 5:00 to be in Cape Town by 7:00, gym, office, food shopping with Mia, Lego Pirate Ship building, watched Hotel Transylvania, bath, read, sleep.
- Moving is always stressful.
- Saturday, very relaxing day, had some lose leaf tea in glass thermo cups, grapefruit, smoked ham and avo omelettes, finished Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis with a few cups more tea, a sunset walk around Stellenbosch, ribs and pizza at Apres, Lecca il Gelato – rum and raisin, some reading, in bed by 20:00.
- Mia somehow managed to get Indy killed after about 2 hours of play and we did not have a save game. She was demotivated. I started playing again and it went pretty quick because we knew how all the puzzels worked. Not long before she took over and quickly played us back to the point we were. Maybe this is the magic of adventure games. Keep on trying.
- Mia seems to love grapefruit and she still likes to drink tea out of a bottle – but she’s pretty strict about not wanting to be in any photos with her tea bottle.
- Sunday, moar house organising, we started playing The Curse of Monkey Island (with ScummVM), lunch with Ernst at Pierneef a La Motte in Franchoek – awesome, go there, drove home singing along to No Doubt – It’s my Life, threw a rugby ball around Coetzenburg with Mia, Monkey Island, photo processing, bath, read, sleep.
- Nothing like the sense of completing a task to motivate you for the next task – aka forward momentum.
- Almost feeling at home in my new house.
- Ernst looks happy in general. The next time I see Ernst we’ll be on our way to AfrikaBurn.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.
Just got back from a #HackSTB meetup where we talked about Khan Academy, CoderDojo and a few other projects that get kids to start coding.
I’m wondering which other apps, resources and projects are good. Obviously this changes quickly with age, but I figured I’d share the things I’ve found. Please suggest a few you have found.
A few people in the #HackSTB community are interested in starting something like a Coderdojo, so if this is something you are passionate about, come to the next meeting.
ps. I found this list.
UPDATE: Found Hakitzu and installed UCBLogo.
Long week, 16 Woordfees shows in total…
- Mia week. Mia is now living one week with Naulene, one week with me.
- Monday, up at 6:30, got Mia and Francis ready for school, school run, dropped Francis with Naulene, gym, Telkom ADSL install it my new house (only 2Mbps – bad copper I guess), Mia went to Judo, supper at De Vette Mossel, Mia bday party planning. She wants a cake that says “Vader Sucks”.
“A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal’s a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade!” — Aliens
- We now have an official AfrikaBurn theme camp registered: “The Son of Man”.
“Ideas are free. Execution and attitude counts.” — Rafiq
- Tuesday, smoked ham scrambled eggs, school run, cardio (Twitter catch-up) at Waterstone, gym with Werner in Stellenbosch, fetched the Death Star, walked Mia at Petr’s house, Francois van Coke at De Vette Mossel with Dirk and Luke.
- I think my information breakfast needs to be trimmed down.
- Wednesday, green smoothie, cardio at Waterstone, Mia went to Judo, made supper for Mia, took a few photos at Fokofpolisiekar’s 10 year celebration concert at Neetlingshof.
- Why you need to do more than just making money… Because more than you need to makes it personal.
“Pleasure is the awareness of being alive. Depression is building something meaningless.” — via Alan
- Thursday, Mia got up early and was dressed before the alarm went off, music appreciation school run: Miles Davis, she liked Sketches of Spain, but none of the other stuff, some blogging and photo processing at Waterstone VA, gym in Stellenbosch, made supper for Mia, Gert Vlok Nel and Storievuur at De Vette Mossel.
- GustPay was featured on Tech Report, eNCA News (DSTV 403).
- Paul now has a Moon Boot – scars from Alien Safari.
“Work like a captain, play like a pirate.”
“Once in the recording studio, the players were typically given only a few instructions: a tempo count, a few chords or a hint of melody, and suggestions as to mood or tone. Davis liked to work this way; he thought it forced musicians to pay close attention to one another, to their own performances, or to Davis’s cues, which could change at any moment.” — about Bitches Brew
- A bit annoyed that I had to go to three shops to find clear recycling bags – in this day and age. Really Stellenbosch?
- Two photos of Mia in the school newsletter this week.
- Friday, green smoothie, early school run for Mia’s reading buddy time, music appreciation: Moloko – The Time is Now, cardio at Waterstone, gym with Werner in Stellenbosch, rainy day eggs Bennedict, calamari at Wijnhuis, Brampton Wine Studio, Gazelle at De Vette Mossel – good show.
“Sorry pappa ek moes die plaas verlaat want ek mis die disco ligte.“
- Kinda weird ordering a drink from the bar and the process works exactly like you dreamed up six months ago, smartphones and wifi. Rad.
- Saturday, sometimes you just need a seven egg omelette, Love and Light with Paul and his moonboot (at 2pm). Adventures of Solo and Chewie.
“Vanilla essence” inside joke.
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” — Dr. Seuss
- Sunday, woke up in Pearl Valley Golf Estate, flat tyre on the N1, last Woordfees show, Jolly Roger (ex-De Kaggel), Bo and Mystic with Paul and Wilbur.
- Feels like I need a holiday from music events.
“Had to go return some video tapes”, “feed me a stray cat”.
“And then I got my 27th wind…” — Paul
- Feel like I should be adding a lot of Facebook friends after this weekend.
“She had to go home, to build her spaceship, to go home.” — about the Spoc girl
Have a fun week, crazy kids.
Five live music events in one weekend…
- 25 Feb – 3 Mar.
- Monday, woke up at Al’s house, Paul made us breakfast, a walk around Stellenbosch with Alan, lunch at TasteBud, Gust dev planning session, went hunting for boxes and packaging tap, photo processing, a sunset walk around Stellenbosch.
- 87Kg now. Missed two gym days this week.
- Tuesday, got up at 4:45, packed up my whole house in under 5 hours, moved to a new place, Woordfees activation on the Rooiplein, ice cream, watched Horrible Bosses – very entertaining.
- Moved a bit closed to work and a bit further from gym – at least it’s a nice walk through De Wet Square.
- Wednesday, could. not. get. up. went to work at 9:00ish, venue network scouting for Woordfees with Werner, Neetlingshof and De Vette Mossel, Street Soiree, supper (R59 good quality ribs) at Apres with Nicola and friends.
- Don’t get up at 4:45 and move your whole house by 13:00. Bad idea.
- Living out of boxes and not finding the time to unpack. Not ideal.
- I think I may be falling in love with Stellenbosch again. I might have to start dating again.
- Thursday, morning walk around Stellenbosch, map app meeting with Jan, Alex and Nico at Hazz, running around looking for 3G routers and opening up houses for inspections and cleaners, AfrikaBurn stretch tent shopping, long afternoon meeting about our payment switch costs, gym, some creative writing for an AfrikaBurn theme camp submission involving bowler hats, croquet and Campari.
- Friday, gym, Woordfees prep, 3G router setup at Neetlingshof, put Mia to bed, a bottle or two of good red wine (Meerlust etc.) with Georg and Parri.
- Mia tells me she’s the only one in her class which has a morning reading buddy. All those Olivia books were worth it.
- Saturday, Mill House smoothie, installed Gust at De Vette Mossel (Woordfees), Weskus snoek for lunch, Mia’s school Fun Day, Mia’s first SCUBA dive (in the pool), Gust setup at Neetlingshof, Arno Carstens show – very good, 3G sucked so we switched to fixed wireless from Snowball, packed up the Gust equipment at De Vette Mossel while watching Spoegwolf.
“Maybe hou sy nie daarvan om tussen die lyne te hardloop nie?” — Johannes, about Mia not enjoying athletics, but loving running around on the lawns at Neetlingshof.
- Sunday, I made smoked ham and tomato omelettes, Mia and I made good progress with Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Root44 market with Mia and Francis – bungy cord trampoline jumps, ice cream, Goldfish at Kirstenbosch with Mia, Francis, Cath and Sarah, watched Elvis Blue at Neetlingshof with Werner, got home with 0 electricity – hate those pre-paid meters.
- Secret to a fluffy omelette: beat the egg whites separately and fold into the yellow.
- Goldfish at Kirstenbosch is true Cape Town magic.
- Listening to the Life Aquatic soundtrack all week in the car.
- Tune of the week: Queen Bitch, David Bowie.
Have a crazy week, fun kids.
- Week of 18-24 Feb.
- Monday, gym, first day in the new Gust office, teacher meeting, fetched Mia from swimming, Mia went to Judo, watched a bit of Stardust, server issues to fix, bath, read, sleep.
- Passed 1100 Facebook friends. 770 Twitter followers.
- Tuesday, school run, gym, meeting with Luke, lunch with Dirk, tried the new Stellenbosch Ocean Basket with Mia – all kinds of average, Wakaberry, ice cream and a walk around Stellenbosch with Mia, watched Stardust, bath, read, sleep.
- Still no good value for money fish restaurant around Stellenbosch.
- I realised this week that my sysadmin skills are getting a bit dated. Not too clued up with Grub, GPT partitions and remotely hosted 64bit machines.
- Mia’s favourite scene from Stardust is definitely the one in Cpt Shakespeare’s dressing room… Twinkle Toes Shakespeare
- Wednesday, school run, gym, day at the office, got a new internet link set up (old one got moved by Telkom), bought Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (on Steam) for Mia and installed it on a laptop for her – pretty good for early readers imho, Mia went to Judo.
- Let me just say I’m a bit annoyed with the universe that I could not have started playing adventure games at age six.
- Thursday, car service day, school run, gym, meetings, haircut at Lize’s, first braai at the new office with Ben, Werner, Janette and Mia, bath, read, sleep.
- Friday, school run, gym, other gym, meetings and Gust demo at Simply Asia, kids party in Erinvale, fetched Mia, a glass of wine at Brampton Wine Bar with the team.
- Gonna have to up my game with these kids parties at Erinvale.
- Saturday, Mia woke up and started playing Fate of Atlantis, omelette and french toast at Basic Bistro, Naulene fetched Mia, a day of demon feeding – all those things that don’t really result in any progress: backups, laundry, catching up on news, Fleetwood Mac, Chardonnay, early supper with Paul at Apres, ice cream, Aandklas, Bo, Mystic – watched The Kiffness play.
- Sunday, Alien Safari at Coolbay with Paul and Al – great fun, as always.
“Did you load the Groovinator?” — Paul, about Groove Armada – Groove Is On.
- I lost my red Pacha cap from Sharm el-Sheikh – good way to go I guess.
“There was definitely more than one hot girl at that party.” — Paul
“It never stops.” — Paul, about the summer season.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.
Start of the SleekGeek challenge…
- Week of 11-17 Feb.
- Monday, entered the SleekGeek Challenge, gym with Werner – super sets, meeting with Paul, a sunset walk around Stellenbosch.
“If you’re comfortable in the exercise you’re doing, it has stopped working.“
- Tuesday, car service day, gym, meeting with Luhein, some blogging, ordered The Death Star Lego for Mia’s birthday, fetched car again, Capoeira class with Hans and three other guys which you obviously do not want to spill your drink on in a bar – good fun.
Wednesday, Cape Chamber of Commerce meeting, Touareg test drive – very nice, lunch with PW – pondering some form of founders dinner event soon, clothes shopping for Mia (Valentines Day red and white), Mia went to Judo, Stellenbosch Street Soiree (mid-week wine festival) with Werner and Paul, a steak at Apre’s (keeping it ASCII) with Paul.
- Thursday, rainy Valentines Day, dropped Mia at school, gym.
- Some people have Siri for in-drive SMS sending, I have Mia.
- Friday, gym, fetched keys for the new office and set up the internet connection there, Brampton wine bar with Werner and Jan, braai at Paul’s house, Mystic with Al and Morgot.
- Memeburn published one of my blog posts about GSM network quality.
- Saturday, woke up at Al’s house, braai, Tanqueray no10, Fleetwood Mac, swim, 5 Reyneveld, Trumpet.
- Sunday, mostly reading – lots of browser tabs, afternoon walk around town.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.
Yes, it’s been too long since I blogged…
- This is for the week of 4-10 Feb.
- Monday, woke up in Greyton, gym in Stellenbosch, lunch at Col’cacios with Ernst, dropped Ernst at the airport, photo processing, sunset walk around Stellenbosch.
- Ernst asked me why I’d like more children some day – I waffeled some reasons, over planning it seems selfish anyway – maybe the answer is The Royal Tenenbaums.
- So starts the process of finding a new place to stay – two building sites next to me were just too much. Stellenbosch area.
- Mia was wearing a WOW badge this week: worker of the week at school.
- Tuesday, gym with Werner – monkey bars and blisters – new respect for Mia and her monkey bar skills, 17% body fat, admin day, burger in a bowl at Da Vinci’s with Dan, Red Hot Chili Peppers with Paul at the Cape Town Stadium, Chukkachurri.
- Somebody recently asked me why I got out of the ISP and datacentre business. I had to think back a bit. New wave, adventure, first in a category, some new innovation – create a new industry niche.
- Wednesday, dropped Paul off, Mia went to Judo, made supper for Mia, Al Bairre at KLT with Werner – awesome band.
- Thursday, dropped Mia at school, Gust successfully concluded it’s second round of funding, bubbly at Lanrezac with the team. Last day of uncertainty, for a while.
- Number of days from first chat about Gust investment to deal completed: 30
(9 Jan – 7 Feb)
“What you forget I still remember, but far away, not long ago” — Band of Skulls – Wanderluster
- Friday, nurse visit – Vitality Health check, gym, Woordfees Gust demo at Bohemia, lunch at Greengate with Parri, fetched Mia from school, Q5 test drive, we had ribs at the Spur, watched some Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade, sunset walk around Stellenbosch, bath, Mia read me two stories, sleep.
“You lost today, kid. But that doesn’t mean you have to like it.” — Indy
- Vitality stats: Cholesterol: 3.6 mmol/l, Glucose: 5.4 mmol/l.
- The next four weeks are going to get very busy.
“Just-in-time-Joe” — Ernst
- Saturday, rainy Saturday morning, Ghibli day – grapefruit, tea, vitamins and tea in a bottle, Ponyo and The Secret World of Arrietty, home made omelettes, nap, bookshop with Mia, calamari and Tiramisu at De Cameron, watched Porco Rosso.
- Mia is reading pretty well now – we had to go get her a few more early reading books.
- Sunday, rearranged Mia’s room, helped her write her name/date in all her new books, AfrikaBurn ticket buying, dropped Mia at her mom’s house, a beer at Root 44 market, watched Interview with a Vampire again – brilliant.
“But still, when she woke, she would climb into mine first.” — Louis
- Tune of the week: The Lumineers – Big Parade
Have a fun week, crazy kids.