Clone Wars Season 2...
- Monday, blogging, gym, we released the Gust Daisies video, took a longer than usual walk through Mostertsdrif.
- Gust Pay at Daisies 2013. We managed to get more than 800 views in one day.
- Tuesday, gym, finally managed to switch to our Gust Pay Mobile merchant account, meeting at the airport with Carel, quick walk around Stellenbosch, we launched the Kinky Disco 2 ticket sales.
- Wednesday, morning walk, email and admin, Cape Town day, Caffe Neo meeting, fetched snail mail for the first time in about two months, Mouille Point walk, a beer with Luke and Micheal at The Winchester Mansions.
- Thursday, blogging, bank visit, got two Nexus7 tablets, Gusted some Simply Asia for lunch, squash vs Werner, post-squash beer, venison braai at Werner's house.
- Friday, early morning email scrubbing, interest from a bank to buy Gust, gym with Werner, bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom, weekly dev meeting at Blue Crane, meeting with Arno, a glass of wine at Brampton.
- Gust Pay is turning out to be an interesting intersection between industries; financial services, telecoms, events and marketing.
- Saturday, up early, school beach run, Mia did the 2km, Naulene, Fancis and Marlyn did the 1km, Francis came 5th (but she was very unhappy that she did not win), breakfast with Mia and Francis, painful mall visit (Western Union), watched some Clone Wars Season 2, nap, I squeezed some fresh orange juice, upgraded to OSX 10.9... same old, watched the rugby at Wijnhuis with Mia and Francis, gelato, Clone Wars, put Mia and Francis to bed, watched The Internship... meh.
- Finally managed to use my Discovery Vitality status for something.
- Sunday, photo processing and backups, lunch at De Oewer with Mia and Francis - great venue - not the best service, nap, watched the end of Clone Wars Season 2, took Mia and Francis to their mom's house, photo processing and blogging.
"But our trip was different. It was a classic affirmation of everything right and true and decent in the national character. It was a gross, physical salute to the fantastic possibilities of life in this country - but only for those with true grit. And we were chock full of that." -- HST, on true grit and adventure.
- 20 GB backup after upgrading OSX, Aperture etc. - and I can't really notice anything that changed - other than having to reconfigure my desktop background and screensaver settings.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.
Wine on the River weekend...
- Monday, grapefruit, school run, Waterstone gym, Stellenbosch gym, lunch with Werner, did my first Western Union money transfer (to China), took Mia to the clinic to have the wound or her leg checked, sunset walk around Stellenbosch with Mia taking photos and teaching her a few photography concepts, chess, ribs and steak, reading, sleep.
- Tuesday, grapefruit, school run, Mia went on a school outing to Hout Bay, car service, email scrubbing, Mia returned home with a scraped knee, back to the nurse to have the previous day's dressing redone, sunset walk towards Coetzenburg - more photography chats, steamed veg.
- On the way to school Mia asked me why I call her mom "Cubbie"... Life Aquatic reference.
- Wednesday, up at 5:00, school run, Waterstone gym, Cape Town day, Twanky Bar meeting, Daisies video tweaking session, Wembley Sq with Luke, Quicket meeting, stopped for some Strawberries on the way back to Stellenbosch (dessert), Mia kicked a rugby ball around Coetzenburg, steamed veg, Skype meeting.
- Mia started packing for the weekend away on Wednesday already.
- The Gust Pay Daisies video is looking good.
- Thursday, up at 5:00, at least it's summer, strawberry smoothies, early school run for choir, processed some long outstanding phone notes, gym with Werner, weekly Gust dev meeting with Jan at Blue Crane, a walk around Stellenbosch with Mia, early supper at Manouche - the food and service was good, but the loud Lebanese techno (?) gets a bit much, ice cream at the new place: Fabio's - not bad, helped Mia print some photos she took, bath, reading, sleep.
- Types of 30-Year-Old Single Guys, I think I'm "Single Dad Tech Startup Guy". On 9 Nov I will have been single for 1 year.
- Friday, up at 4:00, caught up with blogging, early school run for Reading Buddy, gym with Werner, design meeting, Georg arrived and went to visit the Albanian barber who turned out to be Greek, some last minute document writing while driving to Graham Beck with Georg, Mia and Francis, wine tasting, shopped for supplies in Robertson, drove to Montagu, bookend into the very top mountain chalet at Avalon Springs (bit of a walk to up the hill), indoor hot springs swim, outdoor hot springs swim, White Russians and bath robes, braai.
- Mia, chirpiest person who likes her tea in a baby bottle you will ever meet.
- Saturday, morning swim, big hotel breakfast, took the shuttle to the Robertson Wine on River festival (nice festival), wine tasting, river boat trip with Georg, Mia and Francis, took the shuttle back to Montagu (overheard the guy who runs the shuttle service tell somebody about NFC wristbands - seems he knew about Gust because of Woordfees), a round of mini golf with Georg (in our hotel issue bath robes... when in Rome) while Mia and Francis went swimming in the outdoor pools, more White Russians and a braai.
- Sunday, I made breakfast - lots of bacon, morning swim, packed up, picked up some road trip snacks at the Montagu dried fruit factory shop, wine tasting at Springfield, drove back via the Franschhoek mountain pass, pizza and gelato in Franschhoek, dropped Georg off at the airport, photo processing, Naulene fetched Mia and Francis, sunset walk around Stellenbosch, watched Youth in Revolt... very good.
- Good to get away, feeling recharged again.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.
Kinky Disco and the joys of VSAT...
"Give it a second — it’s going to space!" -- Louis CK
- Monday, took a day off, breakfast with Luke at The Open Kitchen, watched Wag the Dog, nap, sunset walk around Stellenbosch, watched RIPD - not bad, in bed by 21:30.
- Tuesday, unpacked my car, general admin and photo processing, afternoon with Mia, fetched her from school, summer school uniform organising, raw food pizza, summer clothes shopping (mostly size 11yo for some reason), ninja ice cream, dropped Mia at Naulene's house.
- Wednesday, drove an Audi A1 TDI for the day - nice, Cape Town day, Wembley Square, Machine agency, Wembley Square, Caffe Neo, fetched Mia and Francis, fetched my car, meeting at Wild Clover farm while the girls played on the jumping castle, copied Flash Gordon on a flash stick for Mia, dropped Mia and Francis at their mom's house with the 2nd chess set.
- Thursday, mountain of email to try and process, we got the first cut of the Gust Pay Daisies video, walk around Stellenbosch, Brampton with Jan and Werner, Kinky Disco planning, Gusted my wine bill, got the 2nd cut of our Daisies video - looking good.
- Friday, 6:00 walk, crazy day, VSAT training in Century City, bought some wristbands in Paarden Island, fetched VSAT dish and drove to Kogel Bay, set up the VSAT and tested it.
- Same day training and installation for next day deadline. We were not sure if we could get internet access at Kogel Bay, not sure if we could get a VSAT dish in time, not sure if the VSAT dish could be pointed over the mountain there and not sure if SMSs would work at the venue to assign wristbands. Only one way to find out.
- Saturday, survived Kinky Disco at Kogel Bay, early morning set up, raining, tent pole ruptured water pipe, had to move everything, figured out our VSAT router would only give one IP internet access (via only one DHCP lease), drove to Somerset Mall to get an extra router (with WAN Eth port), then figured out the VSAT router only allowed 256 TCP sessions, managed to do mobile phone payments at the bar anyway, long crazy day, many lessons learnt. One of the more tricky events. First event where we used our ticketing system.
- There was certainly more than one hot girl at Kinky Disco.
"..and the 7th one will be cashless." -- Michael Pollock
- One side effect of tech startups in the events / show business space is that your idea of what a crisis is gets a bit warped.
"A for tenacity." -- Paul
- PR for the week: NFC World, VentureBurn.
- Sunday, after Daisies and Saturday's adventures it was bliss to fetch Mia and relax, Belgian waffles and omelette at The Farmer's Kitchen, we watched Coraline, nap, Root44 market with Paul, Shelly, Barbara, Joanna and Ross, sunset walk and photo session with Mia along the Eerste Rivier up to the cable bridge, Apres burger with Mia, we washed Mia's hair, bath, reading, sleep.
- Had a bit of a moment on Sunday: Mia showed me a wound on her leg (shin) from jumping out of bed onto a cupboard which happened last Saturday at Naulene's house. It should clearly have gotten stitches and will leave a scar. Naulene sent me a phone camera photo 7 hours after it happen saying it's "healing well" - so I did not think it was that big a deal. Best part: Naulene is convinced it's my fault.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.
My 5th Daisies...
- Week of 30 Sept to 6 Oct.
- Monday, some early RTD app blogging, Cape Town day, Machine, RTD press enrollment day at Roeland st Vida - played photographer and took photos of about 50 journos, Luke's house to go see our new parasols, fetched Mia's school bag in SSW, dropped Werner at home, forced to go to bed early because the power went off and my banking app (and online banking) would not let me buy electricity - not sure how they manage to be unusable more than 1/2 the time in 2013.
- Tuesday, up at 5:00, school run, RTD app press release writing, gym, investor meeting at Blue Crane, a glass of wine and Brampton with Jan and Werner.
- Hello summer.
"We cannot be more sensitive to pleasure without being more sensitive to pain."
"Courage is knowing what not to fear." -- Plato
- Wednesday, press release day - always interesting to see who publishes your story, Daisies site visit with Luke and Werner, my CNBC Africa interview was on DStv (which I still have not seen), sunset walk around Stellenbosch.
"The new needs friends." - Anton Ego, Ratatouille
- Thursday, last minute hacking to get ready for Daisies, drove to Daisies with Werner, out and about, pretty cold evening.
- Thank you LG for those trusty two NFC scanners (phones).
- Friday, we set up the Gust Media Lounge at Rocking the Daisies and showcased our payment and vouchering with phones and wristbands, had to setup our own internet via terrestrial wifi link (3G was pretty bad, pretty much nothing at times), closed up and in bed early.
- Found this in a blog post from about a year ago: "Your highs are super high. Crack. Your lows are unexplainably low and lonely. It's the startup roller coaster world. And I miss it. Please make sure to enjoy the ride (up and down) while you're there." Saturday evening was one of those highs.
- Saturday, up early, set up the Gust equipment, watched Al Bairre, kinda directed a few video shots, set up the BOS ice tea PayPoint, watched the rugby with Jason, took a long walk, closed up the media tent and watched Alt-J live from the Jagermeister deck ("Dissolve Me" was awesome), ran around Daisies with Luke, Werner and Philippa.
"How the f*ck are you going to enjoy yourself if you don't have peace of mind?" -- Roger Young, one of the music journo's commenting on cashless event tech.
"It's a festival, things go wrong. Not much has gone wrong yet." -- Gavin, when I asked him how things are going.
- The Daisies 2013 app worked very well. Everybody had good things to say about it. Great job by all who worked on it!
- Why we do it: Progress. Adventure. The joy of discovery. Don't forget.
- Sunday, Daisies beach bar, drove Luke's van back to Stellenbosch. Babies don't sleep this well.
- PR for the week: Bandwidth Blog, Channel24, VentureBurn, HumanIPO, Ideate.
- Werner wrote a great post about The Irrationality of Startups.
- I suspect I need a holiday soon.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.