My 5th Daisies…
- Week of 30 Sept to 6 Oct.
- Monday, some early RTD app blogging, Cape Town day, Machine, RTD press enrollment day at Roeland st Vida – played photographer and took photos of about 50 journos, Luke’s house to go see our new parasols, fetched Mia’s school bag in SSW, dropped Werner at home, forced to go to bed early because the power went off and my banking app (and online banking) would not let me buy electricity – not sure how they manage to be unusable more than 1/2 the time in 2013.
- Tuesday, up at 5:00, school run, RTD app press release writing, gym, investor meeting at Blue Crane, a glass of wine and Brampton with Jan and Werner.
- Hello summer.
“We cannot be more sensitive to pleasure without being more sensitive to pain.”
“Courage is knowing what not to fear.” — Plato
- Wednesday, press release day – always interesting to see who publishes your story, Daisies site visit with Luke and Werner, my CNBC Africa interview was on DStv (which I still have not seen), sunset walk around Stellenbosch.
“The new needs friends.” – Anton Ego, Ratatouille
- Thursday, last minute hacking to get ready for Daisies, drove to Daisies with Werner, out and about, pretty cold evening.
- Thank you LG for those trusty two NFC scanners (phones).
- Friday, we set up the Gust Media Lounge at Rocking the Daisies and showcased our payment and vouchering with phones and wristbands, had to setup our own internet via terrestrial wifi link (3G was pretty bad, pretty much nothing at times), closed up and in bed early.
- Found this in a blog post from about a year ago: “Your highs are super high. Crack. Your lows are unexplainably low and lonely. It’s the startup roller coaster world. And I miss it. Please make sure to enjoy the ride (up and down) while you’re there.” Saturday evening was one of those highs.
- Saturday, up early, set up the Gust equipment, watched Al Bairre, kinda directed a few video shots, set up the BOS ice tea PayPoint, watched the rugby with Jason, took a long walk, closed up the media tent and watched Alt-J live from the Jagermeister deck (“Dissolve Me” was awesome), ran around Daisies with Luke, Werner and Philippa.
“How the f*ck are you going to enjoy yourself if you don’t have peace of mind?” — Roger Young, one of the music journo’s commenting on cashless event tech.
“It’s a festival, things go wrong. Not much has gone wrong yet.” — Gavin, when I asked him how things are going.
- The Daisies 2013 app worked very well. Everybody had good things to say about it. Great job by all who worked on it!
- Why we do it: Progress. Adventure. The joy of discovery. Don’t forget.
- Sunday, Daisies beach bar, drove Luke’s van back to Stellenbosch. Babies don’t sleep this well.
- PR for the week: Bandwidth Blog, Channel24, VentureBurn, HumanIPO, Ideate.
- Werner wrote a great post about The Irrationality of Startups.
- I suspect I need a holiday soon.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.