On my mind this week: figure out what you like to do and do more of that…
- Monday, dropped Georg at the airport, met with Brian at the Blue Crane, some wedding photo processing, swimming with Mia, Clone Wars Season 4, a sunset walk around Stellenbosch, fish and chips, in bed early.
- Tuesday, school run, Waterstone gym (read: catch up with Twitter on a gym bike), Deloitte Digital meeting, Mia went for two swimming lessons, met with Falk at Brampton, meeting with Jan and Werner, cooked supper for Mia while watching some Clone Wars.
- Wednesday, up early, school run, Waterstone gym, started working on a new investment deal for TrustFabric and Gust Pay, a game of chess and pizza at Decameron with Mia, gelato/sorbet, Clone Wars.
- Dairy-free week for Mia.
- Thursday, school run, gym, massage, lunch with Werner at Greengate, meeting with Luke and Werner at Brampton, watched Clone Wars with Mia.
- This year is quickly coming to an end. It’s been a pretty crazy adventure.
- I don’t think Mia has a perfect school attendance record this year, but at least she went to school every day she was at my house.
- There is something about imminent change that makes you appreciate the now.
- Friday, green smoothie, school run, gym, ISLabs Skype meeting, fetched Mia from school, swimming with Mia – her freestyle stroke is looking good – we spent some time on her backstroke, finished Clone Wars Season 4, sunset walk and a burger at Jan Kats.
- TrustFabric in the news: Finally, a national opt-out list.
- Saturday, relaxing morning, omelettes, swimming – mostly breast stroke coaching, Mia swam 25m freestyle in 31sec, Victoria’s 8th birthday party, Clone Wars, drove to the end of the Jonkershoek Road with Mia – memories of driving this road on the afternoon I bought my first car, a sunset walk along the Eerste Rivier to the cable bridge.
- Tune of the week: Shot At The Night, The Killers.
- Sunday, watched the end of Star Wars the Clone Wars Season 5 – nice touch that it ends with the line “I know.”, Bircher muesli with a selection of fresh berries, swimming lessons – Mia’s breast stroke is coming along nicely, 26sec 25m freestyle, 28sec 25m backstroke, nap, introduced Mia to a mask, snorkel and Underwater Hockey at the (recently filled up) Coetzenburg pool – she seems keen to start playing, nap, watched the sun set at the La Pineta play area.. with the usual golden hour summer photography moments, a game of chess, best seared tuna steak in a long while, took Mia to her gran’s house… great weekend.
- Seared tuna steak… memories of Strega in Heritage Square and probably the best NYE party ever 03/04.
- It’s about 20 years since I stared playing underwater hockey.
- I bumped into Gert at the pool who reminded me that we use to play underwater hockey with Lyndon Rive way back in 1994/95 at TUKS in Pretoria.
- This coming Thursday is UWH Inter-Clubs in Stellenbosch.
- Mia’s first gala is this coming Wednesday, I think Mia is confident to swim a freestyle and backstroke race now.
- Investment deals negotiated this year: 7 (to the point of agreeing in writing). Successful so far: 2. Gives you an idea how healthy our local tech investment ecosystem is. The list includes Naspers.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.
- Monday, got up early and completed our entry for two startup pitching events: Midem and SXSX – submitted with 15min to spare, gym, 0.5k swim, Checkers sushi and a nice glass of Hartenberg Chardonnay for lunch – yes, I know.. after watching Jiro Dream of Sushi the previous night.
- Tuesday, afternoon 1km swim and mostly just working.
“Be mine – until the internet goes down.” — Werner, about engagement rings.
- It’s easier to teach oil rig crews to become astronauts than teaching astronauts to become oil rig drillers. — Dirk, about software developers and business people, we suspect he is Bruce Willis the software developer in this story.
- The Coetzenburg swimming pool is finally filled with water again – may have to play some underwater hockey soon.
- Wednesday, busy Cape Town day, Peach Payments meeting, bumped into Dan at 88mph, walked around AfricaCom, Blue Label meeting, was part of a panel discussion about Mobile Money, bumped into Ingi, Machine meeting, Isreali VC meeting at The Westin, a beer at La Parada with Nick, pull pork sandwich at hipster central… &Union.
- Thursday, up at 4:00, packing and backups, flight to Joburg at 7:00, bad luck with seat choices – sat next to a fat person on the plane, breakfast with Anton in Sandton, Machine meeting – in a very unintuitive Chinese building, spent most of the day in Soweto at Walter Sisulu Square, drove to Ernst’s house, a beer in 4th avenue Parkhurst, had the biggest pork chop ever at Bistro Vine with Ernst and Anton talking about SCUBA holidays, Burning Man and had good laugh about cruise ship holidays, Georg fetched my car at the airport, out in Greenside with Anton.
- Good to see Ernst again.
“What is adventure without the unknown?” — Anton, about (cruise ship) holidays.
- Friday, 21 hour day, woke up at Anton’s house, first meeting at 7:00 – very positive meeting about TrustFabric, back to Sandton Square, iPhone 5s launch day, got an extra iPad2, drove to Midrand to get POE injectors and switches, booked two event photographers, drove to Area3 and luckily our four new NFC scanners were there, back to Walter Sisulu Square, booked into the Soweto Hotel, started setting up for Adidas Unite Joburg, wired the NFC scanners with Ethernet cable, set up the bars, registration, access control and event photography, all kinds of crazy logistics and problem solving – mildly stressful, Ernst came to the event to support my efforts (thanks Ernst), played photographer for a while and watched Mandoza perform, high fives from the Machine ladies, set up 6 tablets for store discounts, packed up all our equipment and walked back to the hotel with three security guards at 3am, managed to get 3 hours sleep.
- Easily the most crazy working day ever. Complexity level 9. This was our first public event with our new POE NFC scanners. Don’t think I’ll attempt setting up an event out of town on my own again.
- I don’t think Georg can walk by a Hifi without unplugging some cabling.
- Saturday, another 21 hour day, woke up in Soweto, drove to Anton’s house, packing, flight to Cape Town, Georg fetched me at the airport, played photographer at Aiden and Camilla’s wedding at Marianne Wine Estate just outside Stellenbosch, awesome wedding, nice ceremony, great speeches, tasty food, cool people and some dancing, got to bed around 3:00, babies don’t sleep
- Sunday, omelette at Wijnhuis with Georg, watched Burn After Reading, a long nap, watched the rugby at Jan Kats, Apres, in bed by 21:00.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.
Clone Wars Season III…
- Monday, gym, a braai with Werner for lunch, Mia helped build a solar powered toy which I picked up at Joburg airport for her, a walk around Stellenbosch explaining electricity concepts, braai meat for supper, bath time and reading.
- Mia is now 135.5cm, 33.3kg.
- Tuesday, school run, gym at Waterstone, gym in Stellenbosch, meeting with Garth, painful afternoon meeting, walk around Stellenbosch while Mia went for swimming lessons, we watched some Clone Wars Season 3, I introduced Mia to Sago pudding and she liked it, bath time and reading.
- Mia now has swimming lessons four days a week (six days this week) – getting ready for the school inter-house gala later this month.
- Found out that Apple are now forcing people to use iCloud if they want to sync their calendars to their phones. This sucks. Might have to switch back to Debian soon – I think the only thing I’ll really miss is Aperture for photo editing.
- Wednesday, green smoothie, school run, Waterstone gym, meeting with Arno at Wembley Sq, Thunda.com meeting at Caffe Neo, Mia seemed to organise herself a play-date which caused some minor panic, some Clone Wars, pasta and pesto night for three, work.
- Thursday, school run, gym, weekly dev meeting at Blue Crane – tough decision, Gusted some scrambled eggs, meeting with Bill at Java about sport clubs in the UK, walk around Stellenbosch with Mia, last fixes to our NFC camera signup app, Clone Wars, Chardonnay, Melk Tert, Madeleine Peyroux.
- Our new (POE) NFC scanner is working!
- Friday, school run, gym, the rate of Adidas Unite Joburg signups started to pick up, Gusted a glass or two of wine at Brampton with Parri, watched Clone Wars with Mia, burger at Apres.
- Saturday, Clone Wars, we got Mia a new swimming costume, gym, spent an hour in the swimming pool with Mia – teaching her how to swim freestyle, sauna, more Clone Wars, nap, afternoon walk chatting about mostly swimming, threw a tennis ball on a Coetzenburg rugby field, Campari and Calamari and rugby at Wijnhuis with Mia – the waiter asked where Francis was, gelato.
- Interesting teaching swimming – so many finer points to something which really just feels like a reflex.
- Been single for one year this weekend.
- Sunday, tea, grapefruit, green smoothie, watched the start of Clone Wars Season 4 – cool underwater scenes, a game of chess in the Botanical Garden and a free lunch, played swimming coach at gym – Mia is making good progress, sauna, took Mia to her mom’s house, a beer with Andrew (back from two months in China) at Old Bridge tavern, watched Jiro Dreams on Sushi – good movie.
- Tunes of the week: the new Madeleine Peyroux: The Blue Room. Guilty – good song. She’s grown (in size since her 2004 Careless Love album cover).
- Last week somebody asked me if I had a blog – I said yes, but not really something fit for mass market consumption – it’s more of an original diary style blog. Seems this is very hipster. Who knew.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.
- Monday, fetched an Audi A4 2.0 TDI for the day, gym at Waterstone, Blackbird meeting, meeting at Wellness Warehouse, Blue Label meeting, fetched Mia from school, fetched my car, took Mia for some Thai food, dropped her at her mom’s house, took her swimming costume to her Gran’s house.
- Tuesday, gym, squash vs Werner, sunset walk, email scrubbing.
- Wednesday, crazy blur of a day, last minute investor deals with end of the month deadlines, Luke quit and un-quit, Kinky Disco planning, Adidas event planning, getting wristbands out of customs, tinkered with the new NFC scanner, Skype meeting to .nl, haircut.
- Thursday, early flight to Joburg, Gautrain, bought 7 Nexus7 wifi+3g tablets, meeting at Area3, set up the new tablets and phones, nice supper at Luke’s aunt’s house.
- Friday, last shopping – tripods, crates etc, dropped Luke at the Gautrain station, training day at Area3 for the Adidas Unite Joburg project, a few beers at Anton’s house, supper at one of Anton’s squash friend’s place – dead tired.
- Saturday, Unite Joburg signups open, drinks with Hein and Anton in Park Hurst, fun evening out in Greenside with Anton.
- A bit bummed that I missed Aiden’s bachelors and Kinky Disco 2.
- Sunday, Area3, a walk around the Market on Main, bored Ashleigh with Bitcoin geek speak, flight to Cape Town, good to be home, watched The Way, Way Back – good movie.
- Maboneng is a pretty interesting place. I suspect I dislike Joburg much less after this last visit.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.