End of the summer…
- Week of 22-28 September, Techstars week 15.
- Monday, audio book walk to gym, swim, played with Ricochet (Tor IM), nice Skype chat with Mia, demo day video watching and feedback, bought the new aKing album on iTunes (might actually be the first album I’ve bought on iTunes) walked home and had some Mexican food around Shoreditch with Werner.
“Sleep late, have fun, get wild, drink whisky, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love and not getting arrested.” — Hunter S. Thompson
- We’re still waiting for EE to activate Jacques’ “fibre” broadband – we now have two routers. I don’t think it’s going to happen before we have to go back to Cape Town.
- Tuesday, gym, swim… some days you really just want a lane to yourself, ironed a shirt (and so the fundraising begins), a 6 GBP haircut around Whitechapel with a Bollywood movie in the background, played with the iPhone 6 (nice) and 6 plus (lame), bit of an interesting curve ball landed in our inbox, finally managed to buy some Bitcoin on CoinFloor, pitch deck script learning on the train, schwarma at Beirut Express with Werner, angel investor pitch evening around South Kensington… good fun (but I need to present a bit slower it seems) – nice group, just about every house has an Aston Martin or a Range Rover in front of it, a few beers at the pub around the corner… until they closed, nice to catch up with Sonja, good chat with Werner on the bus ride home.
- We released the Daisies 2014 app. Discovered a snag on iPhone5s (and 6) – but a fix was submitted quickly – thanks Jan.
- Wednesday, usual audio book train ride to work, proposal writing and a teleconference, pitch practice with Greg (a few steps sideways, to end up with mostly the previous wording) and iMovie tinkering, bugged Jacques to get home early, official SA Braai Day at the warehouse (aka The Cave) with Bruce the dog (Jock of the Warehouse), Jacques got this idea that Bloody Mary’s were paleo and stared spicing them up more with each round, Werner did the braai’ing, Jacques managed the FB photo posting, we ate enough meat for 6 people right off the braai, Bruce kinda moved in, walking to the shop – I remember thinking London is getting really cold now, I finally replaced the 9V battery in Jacques’ fire alarm – a bit ironic since he stopped smoking for three days at this point.
- Thursday, cleaned up what looked like a decent Braai Day fallout, pitch design and pitch practice, Techstars Connect updates, LinkedIn updates, created AngelList and Crunchbase profiles for GUST and an AngelList profile for myself, the GUST logo changed a bit (more flat look), got out of the office at 21:00ish.
- I think it’s safe to say it’s winter in London now. See you at Rocking the Daisies, kids – let summer begin again.
- I love unattended security updates (apt) – I just got a bunch of emails saying Bash was upgraded on all our servers after reading about the Shellshock bug.
“Jy lyk nogal na Oscar Pretorius.” — Jacques, to Werner.
- Friday, cycled to gym (with my dorky yellow cycling helmet), nice swim, spa, audio book commute to the office, OGC fintech conference in Soho, great lunch, quick pitch deck tweaking, presented some of our ideas for wearable tech to a big room full of bankers, pitch practice with Brian, Friday beers with Morgan at the office, sent off some questions for an important RFI, we watched Cocktail again… love that movie, watched Edge of Tomorrow… pretty entertaining – groundhog day – but with Hudson from Aliens, Techstars caps selfie (see above), we decided to go check what time The Haggerston closed – bit of a goodbye vibe to the evening.
“Coughlin’s Law: Anything else is always something better.”
- Saturday, I made a ten egg breakfast, watched Sin City: A Dame to Kill For… meh, watched the rugby with Werner Walkabout Temple Bar… good game, happy hour at Iguana’s South Bank, walked around the Japan Mat Suri festival in Travalgar Square, Turkish food with Jacques at Best Mangal Kebab (Jacques favourite Turkish place) around Old Street… we listened to Jacques stories of how he swam across the Thames and ended up in jail for a night, G&Ts at The Haggerston – to look for my hoodie from the previous evening’s adventure, early night.
- “Welcome to EE…” – how I woke up on Saturday morning (speaker phone), first question: “please key in your home phone number” – followed by Jacques’ response… “doos”. — how the call centre is able to neutralise Jacques.
“Fat people don’t riot.” — Jacques about feeding the masses sugar and subsidising corn farming.
- Jacques stopped smoking for a whole week. There seems to be a new spring in his step. If you smoke – stop.
- Sunday, Essex Road gym, swim, had to go replace my lost hoodie at the Superdry shop in Islington, mostly Broccoli for lunch, epic nap, sunset walk along the Regent’s Canal to London Fields Park, last warehouse braai for a while – Jacques made Bloody Marys, I blogged next to the braai – this was frowned upon.
- Looking forward to swimming with Mia in a big pool.
“Don’t become your reputation.”
- Album of the week: aKing, Morning After.
“Broccoli is the new black.” …eat some every day, kids. I finished the Eat Move Sleep book. Need to find something new…
- And then, just as I finished this blog post I spotted an email from Dr. Ernst…
het vir jou “a just because” audiobook gift gestuur”
Since it’s the end of the Techstars saga, we’ll add a 2nd photo this week…
Have a fun week, crazy kids.