Living a bit of a strange mix of the Paul Carr books…
- Week of 13-19 October.
- Yes, this post is late. Writing creativity has been diverted to lots of Telegram messages recently.
- Monday, got an HDMI cable and an SD card for project Kano, quick 1k swim – great mood, finally returned Mia’s bike after AfrikaBurn, fetched Mia (last day of school holiday) and fixed Naulene’s email, more swimming coaching… the two hand butterfly is coming along nicely, Bikini Beach walk, hake, calamari and salad at Trawlers, Bikini Books visit… bought “The Best Best Man” (for R15) – six easy lessons, bought Microserfs (for R8) – good memories of the book, dropped Mia at her mom’s house, (car phone) chat with Ernst on the way to Cape Town, catch-up with Wouter – we had a good laugh about Paul being abducted from a party.
- Hello Cape Town, summer is certainly in the air and it feels great to be back.
“What’s the difference between Star Wars and Star Trek?” — Mia, hmm… might have to watch some Star Trek soon.
- I think I might have become a sugar nazi – I keep telling people to avoid sugar.
- Mia can now swim 25m freestyle in 25sec.
- Busy planning a Suicide Gorge walk for November, looking forward to it.
- Thomas seems to have resigned from Ernst’s best men group.
- Great read about startups: Before the Startup.
- Paul recently reminded me of the story of our R2 photos at AfrikaBurn that Sunday – very funny. Giving the poor guy grief about not knowing his own camera settings – turns out it was not his camera.
“The Ex-Presidents rip off banks to finance their endless summer!” — Pappas, Point Break
- Tuesday, woke up to an awesome day in Bantry Bay, grapefruit for breakfast, figured out Wouter’s coffee machine, got some admin done, Table Mountain walk with Georg (Pipe Track / Chain Route walk and then along contour towards Devils Peak – and back via the tar road)… see above photo, ribs special night at Van Hunks with Georg, Bianca and Tracy, nice drive home listening to aKing / In Loving Memory – great tune.
“They say you don’t get over somebody, you get under somebody else.” — Georg’s conversation with Bianca.
- 5000 photos per year seems to be a good target – I’m at 3200 now.
- Real friends make it into ~/.mutt/aliases
- Wednesday, work – had to make a tough decision about elephant hunting, house shopping in High Cape… nice place, house shopping in Camps Bay (wow, something out of the 70s), had to take in the views from the big Bakoven rock, Little Beach visit, walked to the top of Lions Head with Georg… a bit misty, a beer at Van Hunks and bumped into Tracy again, burger in a bowl with Georg and Wouter at Da Vinci’s, good chat with Wouter, thanks!
- Not often that you meet new good friends.
- Thursday, house shopping in Fresnaye – not bad, but ended up going for the High Cape option, new record: less than 48h from viewing to moving in, tinkered with Apache configs to fix POODLE attack issues, Van Hunks with Lara, Claus, Al, Georg and Wouter – only the third night in a row, a drink at P&G, ended up at the Fritz Hotel in Gardens and installed OSX 10.10 (overnight).
- Apache setting you want to be using: SSLCipherSuite EECDH+AES:EDH+AES:-SHA1:EECDH+RC4:EDH+RC4:RC4-SHA:EECDH+AES256:EDH+AES256:AES256-SHA:!aNULL:!eNULL:!EXP:!LOW:!MD5:!SSLv3
- Nice read: Love is Not Enough
- Friday, moving day, new place in High Cape / Vredehoek, minimalist unpacking, Tania visited, wired up the hifi/tv, Hendriks G&Ts.
- Feels like I have not had a home since January.
- Saturday, woke up at home for a change, installed Aperture 3.6 – really hoping it’s less buggy, fetched Mia from a sleepover, Mia’s swimming squad sign-up, we had to go get Mia some new swimming goggles, pool party and mini-housewarming, watched that scene from Stardust again, kinda fell asleep next to Mia after her bath time, wine, music, dancing in the lounge with Hilah, Paul, Georg and Nikki, great day.
“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” — Oscar Wilde
- Sunday, breakfast at Sidewalk Cafe with Nikki and Mia – I really should start eating a bit slower, pool party with camping mattress lilos, Mia made virgin Strawberry Daiquiris, Ingi made a great salad lunch, we managed to finish 6 bottles of my favourite Chardonnay and get every single glass in the house dirty (over the weekend), watched Mega Mind again, pizza at Da Vinci’s with Mia, watched some Cosmos.
“Of course they have good fashion sense – what do you think they were doing in the closet all that time?” — Georg
- Some people are just fun to be around – and they bring out the best in you.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.