Best man, wedding photographer and master pocket square folder…
- Week of 21-27 September.
- Health week 3/4… well, kinda – for a Braaiday week.
- Monday, awake at 5:30 – great snooze, school run, dropped some of Mia’s clothes at her mom’s house, Waterstone gym, swim – had the pool all to myself, work, Radlof park walk, a walk around Mia’s school – very pretty, parent teacher meeting with Naulene – the teacher said Mia is doing very well – tip top in fact – super proud – much better than earlier this year, had a long chat about food at school, took Mia to W Cafe for fresh juices, supper and a well-done treat, book shop – bargain science and biology encyclopedia deal, dropped Mia at her mom’s house and told her I’ll see her at the wedding in Pretoria, sunset drive to Cape Town, blogging with a glass of MKM2010, nice so see Mia a bit more on a Monday.
- Seems the sun is up at 6:30 these days. Might even do an early Lions Head walk soon.
“This is the Mia I knew in Grade 1.” — Mia’s teacher, happy with her work and all round well being.
“How often I found where I should be going by setting out somewhere else.” — Buckminster Fuller
- Tuesday, walked to the office, financial model tinkering, took a lunchtime walk past the Sea Point pool (see above) – still a bit cold / 15degC – to the Rhino along the Promenade and had lunch at Sobaba again, gym, killer abs, 1h spinning class, swim – I was really not in the mood for spinning, but I’m happy I went anyway.
- Suicide gorge should be pretty easy this year. Getting fit a bit earlier than usual. We’re booked for December if you want to join?
“Entrepreneurship is a physical contact sport. It’s all about bumping into people, meeting smart people, having smart conversations.” — Jon Bradford
- I’m quitting coffee again – mostly because Mia pointed out that I said I should and I still had a cup on Monday. No more flat whites – only Rooibos cappuccinos. It starts with a few random weekend breakfast coffees in social situations – and the next thing you know you feel fatigued all the time, not sleeping well and you feel you need coffee to start the day. Evil. At the rate you see new coffee shops opening – 1/2 of the working population must be addicted and battling with chronic adrenal depletion.
- Wednesday, blood test at Wellness Warehouse, some painful admin with getting a credit card PIN reset – discovered my drivers license expired last year *sigh*, a chai tea with Ingi at the cheese place in Bree St – we chatted animated videos, marriages needing a 3 year renewal clause, oh and AfrikaBurn collaborations, haircut at Yogi’s, packed for Joburg, drove to the airport with Georg and had a glass of Chardonnay, BA business class flight (only flight available with Avios when I booked), wrote my best man speech on the plane, ERnst fetched us from the airport, very nice salmon braai at Owen’s house, with Tim, Wendy and the AfrikaBurn 2013/2014 gang, shots of Owen’s tequila (with the tip of his finger in the bottle).
- Owen (of AfrikaBurn fame) managed to rip off the tip of his finger in a Scuba accident, falling backwards into the water from a boat – holding on to a rope used to secure the tanks – and then the finger got preserved in a Patrone tequila bottle.
“Are you skinny Joe?” — Tammy, my weight loss blog post must be doing the rounds in Joburg.
- My hemoglobin count went from 11 to 16 (which is way better) – in about 8 weeks. Those iron supplements seem to be working.
“It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up.” — Babe Ruth
- Thursday, Braai Day, a quick visit to Anton’s house, did fibre speed tests at three houses with Vumatel fibre – very impressive, braai at Matthew’s house with Georg, Ernst, Lisa and their family, we chatted health startups and remote medicine, quick profile pic photo shoot with Ernst, Pimm’s and pink drinks, Georg and Ernst ended up in the pool, chats about planning Tinder photo shoots, epic nap, watched a number of Youtube videos – CrossFit / woman’s weight lifting mostly.
“There will always be trauma and addiction.” — Ernst about health startups.
- We have buy-in from the Joburg chapter about AfrikaBurn plans.
- Ernst now has 50Mbps uncapped fibre (5Mbps up), works really well. Anton has 4Mbps.
“I have the body of a 24yo… in my boot.” — ERnst
- Friday, fetched Georg from Anton’s house, found myself a new black suit in the Rosebank mall, brunch with Georg, gym at Old Eds (Houghton), swimming cap fail – it split in two as I was about to get into the pool, Vumatel shop visit and a drink at Wolfpack / 9th Avenue Parkhurst, read my best man book (again) in Anton’s garden – while keeping the dog company, walked to dinner with Ernst, Lisa, Matthew and Georg – rib-eye and chimichurri sauce at Turn ‘n Tender, Ernst had a story about comparing the calluses on his hands with a co-worker – the new new Fight Club… CrossFit, walked home with Georg trying to make phone calls to Lagos (the real Lagos), watched Birdman, woke up at 3:30 and took a battery out of a clock.
- Lisa had a funny story about how people over 180kg get sent to use the Zoo’s MRI machine.
- Pretty happy with my new functional / Olympic bar gym programme – and more resting days: Squat 80kg, Dead lift 100kg, Bench 90kg (orm), Military Press 50kg, Yates bent row 40kg.
- I feel like I’ve only really worked out how to eat, exercise and sleep recently. How crazy is that? I’ve become a real believer in continuous fitness and continuous learning.
- Why don’t all the Virgin Actives have swimwear drying machines?
- Ernst is a legend. Great weekend. Thanks Ernst!
- I think I want to go to Prague for my 40th.
- Saturday, up early, managed to destroy a kettle at Anton’s house – not my best – that expensive metallic looking kettle looked a lot like a gas stove kettle – we did a quick Mr Wolf clean-up, breakfast in Rosebank with Ernst and Georg, Gautrain ride to Hatfield / Pretoria with Georg, Uncle Jack fetched us from the train station, pre-wedding dress up and some Ataraxia Chardonnay with Jacques, Neil, Uncle Jack and Georg – shirts getting ironed, folding pocket squares and making sure ties were straight, Jacques’ and Marietjie’s wedding at Woodhill Golf Estate (Garsfontein), beautiful wedding, 30degC at 15:30 in a black suit, I think I did pretty well with my (Afrikaans) best man speech – Mia probably had no clue what was going on, Jacques made a good speech – and looked good in his suit (see below) – our 10kg weight loss plan worked well, watched the end of a great rugby game, general wedding party fun, Georg caught the wedding garter and danced with Marisca who caught the bouquet, nice to see Jaco and Hein, watched more rugby and played pool at Jovani’s house – who is moving to Sydney at the end of the year – good reason to go Scuba diving in Aus.
- I think I’ve developed a fear of making tea, on gas stoves.
- After a few JHB vs CPT chats, I think it’s safe to say people in Joburg/Pretoria get married more often… and they like smoking.
- Memories of listening to Dire Straits driving home with Jovani – nice sound system in their Jeep.
- Insert best man speech here…
Hulle se^, voor jy met iemand trou moet jy eers weet hoe hulle stadige internet hanteer. Jacques en Marietjie is okay, hulle Skype al twee jaar oor stadige internet.
Hi, ek’s Joe, Jacques se neef.
Dis ‘n groot voorreg om vandag Jacques se best man te wees.
Ek ken Jacques van – wel, van ek kan onthou – hy is meer van ‘n broer as ‘n neef.
Jacques, baie geluk. Ek’s baie bly die dag het gekom.
Jy lyk goed in jou suit.
Ek is daagliks herhinder aan die trou dag want ons het oor die laaste 9 weeke 10kg saam verloor.
Jacques is van die min mense wat ek ken wat ‘n suit koop wat te klein is en dan diet om in hom te pas.
So baie goed wat ek onthou oor die jare van groot word saam…
Pretoria in die 80s. 0-18jaar:
* Lego speel
* Return of Jedi kyk op ‘n VHS tape, tot die tape nie meer gewerk het nie.
* Eersre fiets ry, BMX
* Computer games copy
* Onderwater hokkie Noord Transvaal toere – en Mr Jones
* Onderwater hokkie middae en die Scuba klub huis
* Quake 1 speel in die huis
* Kreef duik, Crosses
* Kreef verkoop vir ekstra geld
* Scuba, 12 Apostels wrak duik toe jy silender moes oop maak toe ons onder kom
Travels / scuba holidays:
* Egipte, Turkye, Spanje, Frankryk
* Barcelona taxi ride
* Mount Sinai, camel ride 3am
* Turkey free dive, groot klip uit die reef
* Griekeland, stuck vir twee maande op Santorini
* Paleo breakfasts op Sondae
* Braai dag in london
Ek’s voel baie bevooreg met al die tyd wat ons kon deel oor die laaste 37 jaar – al ons avonture.
Ek wens julle twee ‘n leeftyd van geluk. Geniet elke oomblik.
Ek wil graag ‘n heildronk instel. Lig asb julle glase. Op Jacques en Marietjie.
- Sunday, spent most of the day with my mom and Mia, woke up at Jovani’s house, brunch with Jacques and Marietjie, Jovani, Georg, Mia and my mom, visited my mom’s house – seems my mom still drives around without a safety belt on, sigh, tea and cheesecake around Lynnwood Bridge, chats with Mia about why pack animals evolved to find breakups painful, arrived at the airport just in time – thanks Jovani, flight back to Cape Town with Mia and Georg – I had a nap while Mia read her Kindle books – 5/7 Harry Potter books read now – helped Mia work out why it’s quicker to fly from Cape Town to Joburg than the other way, Mia went home (past her bed time) with her Granddad, quick photo downloads and backups – I’m such a paranoid photographer.
- Cheesecake day is the new pizza day. Something I learnt from having tea with Ingi.
- This family thing is actually pretty cool. Nice to see everybody. Looks like I’m spending Xmas with Mia, my mom, Jacques, Marietjie and Charlot.
- Great wedding. 4 very cool days in JHB/PTA. Perfect mini-break. Really felt like a holiday. Just busy enough – and pretty stress free for a Joburg visit.
- Tune of the week: Romeo and Juliet, Dire Straits
Have a fun week, crazy kids.