Star Wars on xmas day, pizza on the beach, 11h sleeps, lucid dreaming and hanging out with Nancy Drew…
- Week of 21-27 December. The next post, is number 400!
- Caveat lector – these holiday posts seem to be filled with even more random observations than usual.
- Monday, the start of a whole new week (bhd), flushed my Pocket reading list, finally fetched my new drivers licence – as Lily says: we all know why it’s called Gallows Hill, had lunch with Mia, my mom and Charlotte at Meerendal – the two girls had good fun on the jumping castle, (most probably the worst SA Chardonnay I’ve ever had – somebody should stop them from selling it), braai at Jacques’ house in Durbanville (aka Inglewood) – we watched Star Wars ep 2 and ep 3 with Mia and Charlotte in preparation for ep 7, 11 hour sleep.
- Mia’s year end school certificate reads: “Amazing work representation, Excellence in all learning areas, Creative and artistic.” – not bad for the co-parenting chess-game-level-9 that was 2015.
- It’s a bit sad, but I think crayfish diving is just too much effort. The ratio of risk and effort vs reward is a bit warped.
- After a chat with Jacques, I think I need to make London my base within the next 5 years. SA is screwed.
- Tuesday, woke up at Jacques house, Mia slept till 10:00 (good genes I guess), we kinda discovered our plan to go watch Star Wars episode 7 with the two girls was a bit flawed (age 13 restriction), I ended up driving home and having a 4 hour nap – the trick is an eye mask and meditating before sleeping, aimless late afternoon non-podcast walk to Camps Bay beach – I stopped for oysters and calamari at Tuscany Beach – good service and tasty food for a touristy kinda place, walked home along the usual series of beaches… Glen Beach, Clifton 4th to 1st, some Ouzo at Aris with Georg, tiramisu and a Jamey at Goloso, watched Automata… a bit boring – kinda Blade Runner like – makes you wonder if we can ever trust machines, I watched Secretary – I have not watched it since 2002ish, great movie – it’s all in the mind.
“but, I want to know you.” — Secretary
- How do we force machines to not alter themselves? Only if we include the rules in the core of their value/thinking. We’ll probably fail, read: we are very very screwed.
- Watching movies on a laptop is not a good idea. I can’t seem to focus on one thing.
- Tim F podcast ep 40: listen to the last 1/4 about his life and challenges, crazy – very interesting, the theory that addiction is a disease that causes you to feel that you don’t have a disease and you don’t need to pursue wellness. Episode 41 was also pretty interesting and a big challenge… while we can all still walk – travel now or do more squats.
- Flaneur: “Just walk until your day becomes interesting.”
- We don’t listen to enough classical music.
- Maybe shy people are cool. They try harder. I do.
- 2015 has been a year of misadventures and pointless drama, lots of pointless drama, and a very cool AfrikaBurn adventure – maybe the best one yet.
- I’ve come to realise that all the most interesting people have some kind of defect… bug / non-standard feature set – or, a very wide scope of being. I’m aiming for wide.
- I completed the organ donor card that came with the new drivers licence. I really really hope there is a process which gives organs to the best possible people. I updated my iPhone Medical ID settings to Organ Donor = Yes.
- Things are already going wrong, and there’s only one way to make them go right. Just start.
- There is no security.
“To understand music, you must listen to it. But so long as you are thinking, ‘I am listening to this music,’ you are not listening.” — Alan Watts
- Wednesday, (podcast) walk around the Waterfront with headphones on – seems to keep the sales staff from bugging me, watched Spectre… entertaining, bought Mia two books: Enders Game and The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Jacques’ house, 11h sleep.
- Thursday, gift wrapping, beach cricket outing with Mia, Jacques, Charlotte, Marietjie and my mom, soft serve ice creams, xmas dinner – probably had way too much to eat and drink – somehow I ended up in a Christmas Father suit and handed out gifts (I suspect the 6yo in the room was not fooled), 11h sleep.
- Mia likes her new shades.
- Feed your kids more cheese and let them sleep 11 hours.
- Friday, I started reading Ocean at the End of the Lane – Mia seems to have motivated me to start reading, Star Wars – The Force Awakens 3D IMAX experience with Mia and Jacques (the mall was very quiet – like something out of a zombie movie, but I’m happy we waited to see the IMAX version) – Mia did not like the movie – I figured it was entertaining enough, braai at Jacques’, 11h sleep.
- I’m interested in the intersection between EX and health.
- Note to self: things to make sure of when Mia stays with other people: a) dental health, b) going to bed at a reasonable time.
- Saturday, Mia and I drove to Gordon’s bay to meet up with Anton, Gys and Brian, Mia finished reading another Nancy Drew book, drove home and took a nap (feels like it’s been a long xmas), walked to Clifton with Mia and Paul, a stroll from 1st to 4th and back, sundowners with Georg, time well spent, 11h sleep.
“It’s much easier to achieve big dreams than small ones.”
- Sunday, we found a SIM card / contract for Mia’s iPhone 4s (xmas gift – I figured she’s almost 10yo and she really wanted one – also, communicating via her mother is just too painful), Clifton with Mia, Georg, Paul, Hilah, Cath, Jacques and Marietjie, stroll from 1st to 4th, Hilah helped us get into some creative yoga poses and head stands, beach cricket with a group of kids, many swims with Mia and Cath, Paul lost the Aerobie in the sea in a pretty impressive move (read: facepalm move), sundowner bubbly, pizzas on the beach, only left the beach at 21:00ish, dropped Paul, Hilah and Cath off – with a Black Keys soundtrack, another 11h sleep – magic day, probably the best beach day of the year, kinda tops the one where we ended up at Aris with Rob, 6 hours on the beach, time very well spent.
“Is jy die swart skaap?” — Paul
- Pizza on the beach sounds cool, but the Camps Bay Col’cacchio had pretty bad service, the delivery was late and then all the pizzas I ordered had pork on them (a problem for three of the ladies in the group) – I just ordered a few of the names I remembered on the menu. So, order early and always get at least one vegetarian option. Oh well, at least Mia had her usual pizza on the beach.
- Seems if you sleep more than you need to it’s easier to get into a state of lucid dreaming.
“Make peace with your broken pieces.”
- I think I’m starting to feel rested.
- I decided to not do the annual Suicide Gorge walk with Anton – and just spend time with Mia. Would have been walk number 10 (I think). Georg also missed it after sleeping till 9:00ish.
- “And I guess that’s why they call it the blues, time on my hands…”
Have a fun week, crazy kids.