Batman of the Boland…
- Week of 4-10 January.
- Monday, pizza for breakfast, backups, struggled to enable iMessage on Mia’s phone for at least 15min, Georg dropped his keys off, Mia and I went to go buy her some new stationary for the year in the Gardens Centre, we watched The Good Dinosaur (3D) at the Waterfront – not bad… the story was very basic for a Pixar film, but the visuals were good, gelato and a walk around the Waterfront, post-sunset swim at home, I cooked Mia my signature single-dad high protein supper… very basic, but she likes boiled egg whites.
- Turns out that to enable iMessage you need to be able to send international SMS messages, and you need “Airtime” for that if you are not on a contract that allows for credit. The error messages could be a little bit more helpful.
- Recording a Second Each Day
- Tuesday, Mia finished a whole tray of cherries while watching Batman (the first Tim Burton one) while I did some blogging, we fetched Jacques, cheese and wine tasting at Fairview, cheese and meat platter for lunch, we visited the Alpaca Loom and fed the llamas – very cute animals (see below), Spice Route visit – CBC Brewery and chilled under the trees at La Grapperia, Mia and I drove back to Cape Town and took a sunset promenade walk, take-away pizza supper next to the ocean on a bench above Queens Beach, a post-sunset swim at home.
- Turns out you can keep llamas as pets, R6k each, but they only sell them if you buy at least two… because they are pack animals.
“I have this disease called more.” — from a recent podcast.
- A four day Boland adventure – after just planning to go for drinks on Wednesday night…
- Wednesday, I made Mia a super healthy lunch and we had a bit of a Tylor Swift youtube party in the kitchen, drove to Somerset West while Mia browsed a big collection of her old photos on an iPad, a swim with Mia at the Waterstone gym, dropped Mia off at her gran’s house, fetched a few things from Jonkershoek (misplaced on NYE), Trumpet Tree with Al and Hilah for Johann and Victoria’s Stellenbosch drinks, Balboa with Melissa and Jan, Henk’s house with Al and Eugene.
- Thursday, woke up in Stellenbosch, swim, all day breakfast, watched Point Break (the remake) – not too painful for what it is, First Fizzday at Simonsig (see above) with Paul and Danel and Lisa Marie, nice music, bubbly and oysters, Danel showed off her MCC sabrage skills.
- Tips on Sabering Champagne.
- Friday, woke up in Stellenbosch again, Simonsig wine tasting with Paul – the extended one wine farm tour – great wines including The Garland – we pretty much had a full glass of everything in their range (and they have a big range of wines) – seems to be a bit of a liability knowing people who work in the tasting room, more Chardonnay and AltJ and Jack White – sitting on Paul’s couch on the lawn while watching the clouds roll in over the Stellenbosch mountains (see below), we watched Batman: The Dark Knight Rises – yet again – Paul seems to really like it.
“Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up.” — Alfred
- Word of the week: frigid.
- Paul has this theory that all his ex-girlfriends meet their life partners right after dating him.
“Dude, I did not sleep with your dad.” — Paul. We had a laugh about that story again.
- Saturday, woke up in Stellenbosch, wine tasting at Villiera, breakfast at Joostenberg Deli and Bistro with Paul – nice place, beer tasting with Paul and Melane at the Stellenbosch Brewing Co – cool logo, picnic snack platter with JD and Charita, Vilierra wine tasting with Paul, JD and Charita, I drove back to Cape Town and did a wine delivery for Paul, catchup chat with Wouter, walked to Clifton, a long phone chat with Etienne on the beach, sundowners and pizza on the beach with JD and Charita, Charita managed to get us on the guest list for ERA, fun evening with JD and Charita and Babette.
- Seems Call-a-Pizza is a way better option to get pizza on the beach… but Mia does not like their pizza bases.
- You know you are rested and relaxed when you can do two hours of lucid dreaming.
“You guys are adulting hard, I dig it.” — Paul, after meeting some school friends who have kids.
- The bottom layer of ERA reminds me of the Lighthouse at AfrikaBurn.
- Tunes of the week: Alt-J – Something Good, Jack White – Trash Tongue Talker, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Into My Arms
- To be honest, I’m a bit relieved the holidays are over. I need a break from my break. Three healthy weeks ahead. This hedonism thing is hard work.
- Sunday, lazy afternoon on Clifton 1st with Cath, Mykonos Taverna with Philippa, Luke and Richard – nice place.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.