Little Lebowski Urban Achievers and warm milk…
- Week of 22-28 February.
- Yeah, this post is a bit late.
- Fasting week – ate nothing from Sunday to Thursday night. Started the week at 86.5kg, ended the week at 83kg. Georg’s recent visit kinda delayed my fasting plans. It was actually pretty easy fasting this week. It gets easier.
- I think I want to try one month in ketosis soon. Green veg, butter, coconut oil, mct, nuts, eggs… astronaut food.
- Monday, school run, gym, The Kitchen, office, the SSD I ordered arrived, tinkered with CartoDB, the first few orders came in on my new Octotel line ordering system, left the office at 19:00ish, AfrikaBurn planning meeting at home with Wouter and Stephen, figured out I did not have the right size Torx screwdriver to install the SSD, meh.
- Work has been pretty busy over the last three weeks.
- Tuesday, TiTea, gym, found a Trox6 screwdriver, installed my SSD – painless process – yeah, I know I should have done it months ago – anyway, still working out how to convince work to give me a new Macbook Pro, left the office after dark, started reading Zero to One – great book.
- OSX has native Trim support now.
- The SSD is great. It can stay. Battery time pretty much doubled.
- This is the best thing ever: if you hate telemarketers, you’ll love this robot designed to waste their time.
- Wednesday, office, catch up with the Supernice guys, swim, haircut at Yogi’s, office, tinkered with a Raspberry Pi – tried to get the Kano at Mia’s school to work again, but it’s not happy. I see a Raspberry Pi 3 in my future.
- Thursday, gym, swim, office, fetched snail mail, Spin street trenching project route walk, 2050 visit, Wembley gym, watched Mia’s mixed relay gala at Somerset College – she did well in the backstroke race, took Mia for an early supper and helped her with some homework, dropped Mia off, Stellenbosch Digital Developer meetup at Launchlab in Stellenbosch, catch up chat with Eugene,
going away G&Ts at La Vie with Georg… and some pizza – could not resist (end of the fast)- great pizza.
- Listen to the Chris Sacca episode. Very good. Find interesting, ambitious people. Founders who know it’s inevitable that they will succeed.
“I admit it, you are better than I am.
Then why are you smiling?
Because I know something you don’t know.
And what is that?
I… am not left-handed.” — The Princess Bride, great scene.
- Friday, early breakfast with Fred at Bootleggers – we chatted about Zero to One and Bucky, office, manicure, document signing party, wine tasting at De Meye and a stroll around the farm, a superb (late) lunch at The Table (see above) and then went on this Friday adventure that made my life seem like even more of a Douglas Coupland novel, walked past Brampton Wine Bar, bumped into Henk at Trumpet Tree – and later Al and Henning, Balboa, Mystic (see below), Al’s house – the full Stellenbosch experience – nice to spend time with the locals – funny how things change by staying the same.
- Find joy in everything that happens. Amor fati (love fate).
“Although it doesn’t matter, you and me got plenty of time.” — Fleetwood Mac
- Tune of the week: Fleetwood Mac – Hold Me
“Due to the band members’ strained relationships at the time, the video shoot in the Mojave Desert was “a fucking nightmare” according to producer Simon Fields. “[They] were, um, not easy to work with” agrees Steve Barron, who directed the clip. “It was so hot, and we weren’t getting along” recalls Stevie Nicks. Lindsey Buckingham was still not over their breakup six years earlier, nor her subsequent affair with Mick Fleetwood. Further, she elaborates, the rest of the band was angry with Fleetwood because he had then begun an affair with Nicks’ best friend, who left her husband as a result, causing serious issues for Nicks.” — about the Hold Me music video … yeah, I know. And I figured I had problems.
- Saturday, woke up in Stellenbosch, drove home, Constantia Fresh with Paul and Zia (see below) – always good fun – I took the 85mm and I think we managed to capture the spirit of the event (and Paul posing with about 20 hot girls), drinks at Michael’s house with Ashley and Olivia, Nick’s house with Charlie and Paul.
- Sunday, woke up in Cape Town, Little Lebowski Urban Achievers adventure day: Masqued Ball in Kogelbay with Paul, J5, Charita, etc. – let’s just say we took some strain getting going after the wine festival, nice weather for a beach party – memories of listening to Pearl Jam looking out over the beach after the party ended, Trumpet Tree with Al, Henk, Paul and a big group of Stellenbosch locals, Balboa with Melissa, Renee and Lia – went home and listened to a Chris De Burgh album – well, not really – but something equally lame – we ended up with two girls (who just wanted to be held) who fell asleep on Paul’s couch while we had some Paul Cluver Chardonnay and listened to a Nick Cave album (great album though).
“No, I’m done – I just want some warm milk and biscuits.” — Paul in Balboa, after which the barman actually brought him some warm milk.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.