NorCal drinks and Bio Oil…
- Week of 9-15 May.
- Monday, city wayleave meeting, GPON vendor meeting, beef moussaka at CaffeNeo, I ended up joining Apple Music (pretty cool, but I think I’m not really going to use it enough), Wouter cooked his signature temperature probe rib eye steaks with veg and a nice Ken Forrester Grenache Mourvedre, watched the other 1/2 of Love and Mercy.
“Life is simple: avocados, eggs, activities.” — spotted on Instagram
- Tuesday, office, lunchtime walk, met Georg for a NorCal Margarita at Bungalow (tequila, soda, 2x fresh limes), conveyor belt sushi at 1890 in Obs – Georg loves that place, Suntory Yamazaki 12yo out of Riedel glassware at Kyoto Garden Sushi and a catch up chat with Scott – our old neighbour, dropped Georg off in Clifton.
- I deleted my Google account, Google+, etc, everything. Meh. So long evil empire.
- Wednesday, office, wayleaves meeting, sunset podcast promenade walk, avo and grapefluit for supper, Tuning the Vine (inner city wine route) with Paul, Village Idiot with Paul, Van Hunks with Al, Hilah, Georg and Paul – had a NorCal Gin (gin, soda, 2x fresh lime).
- Why An Alpha Female Is The Best Girlfriend You’ll Ever Have – Reminded me of this article: Dating powerful women is like big game hunting. Intelligent, interesting, exciting, geeky, tall, not too busy – and ideally, calm. That can’t be hard to find right?
- Desire one thing at a time. Gamify it. Remember why you started.
- My hand is pretty much back to normal. Face has a minor scar. Wrist and shoulder is still a bit stiff. Knee is fine again. I’ve been drowning in bio oil.
“Make good art. Make your art.” — Neil Gaiman
- Thursday, micro-trenching workshop in Ndabeni, fetched Mia, fresh juices at Fred&Max, watched Mia’s hockey vs Beaumont – she played for the B and C team and scored one goal, took Mia for supper at had some tiramisu for dessert – safe to say I have a thing for tiramisu, bought Mia a book – Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea / Jules Verne (her Kindle is missing), dropped Mia off at her mom’s house, podcast drive to Cape Town, processed some hockey photos.
- I’ve made it to November 2015 with the Tim Ferriss podcasts. Podcast listening has stalled a bit recently.
- Since my recent AfrikaBurn visit I really try and practice immediacy – just taking a few moments in the day to be very aware of the present / now. Try it. This might be the main thing I found at the burn this year.
“Rage, rage against the dying of the light.” — Awesome photos from AfrikaBurn.
“Build the future you envision.” “Optimists welcome the future.” — Zero to One
- The Teen brain. And some more reading.
- Pocket list down to 80ish.
- Friday, office, fetched Mia, we found Mia some new shoes, early supper at Apres in Stellenbosch – old favourite – I asked Mia 20 questions – I’ve been trying to get into the habit of asking her meaningful questions at dinner, Myog, braai at Margot’s house in Mostertsdrif with Paul, Hilah, Al, JD and Nerina – and some Creation Chardonnay, listened to some Nick Cave and had some dark chocolate with Mia until she fell asleep on the drive home.
- I’ve been interested in Vlogging (Video Blogging) after listening to a podcast interview with Casey Neistat. One 5min video per day seems like a crazy amount of work though. After 400+ weeks of this weekly update thing, I guess I like this whole online diary / life recording thing. Still pondering how to do video. For some reason I just don’t like the idea of starting and then quitting. Need to work out the format and effort involved. For now I’ll just be happy with some bullet points and my new 10 photos per week standard. Check out Ben Brown and Casey Neistat.
- Saturday, had a long chat with Mia about the cause and symptoms of her post nasal drip and her cough, brunch with Mia at the Granger Bay / OZCF market – and some brownies and the usual batch of olives, I showed Mia the Teen Brain video, we watched Ghost Busters (1984) – Mia enjoyed it – Sigorney Weaver is hot, I played with Beme, sunset promenade walk with Mia (see below), cooked a super healthy supper, NorCal vodka and grapefruit drinks with Wouter, watched The Truman Show with Mia – she liked it, put Mia to bed and sorted 7 years of photo projects into per-year folders in Aperture – the new logic should last me another few years – itch scratched.
- I figure it’s time to show Mia a series of interesting classic movies – thing like The Truman Show and Back To The Future.
- Mia seems to be really into The Foos game on her iPad – designing platform games for Zander to play.
- Sunday, catch up chat with Dan, breakfast at Bootleggers / Bantry Bay with Mia, Wouter and Zander, spent about 2.5 hours with Mia at the Cape Town Science Centre in Obs – very cool place, chilled at home in the autumn sun, sunset promenade walk with Mia – we chatted photography and art – she has to enter a photo into an art exhibition thing for school soon, burgers at Hussar Grill / Mouille Point with Mia and Georg.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.