Things to make and do in keto week…
- Week of 30 May to 5 June …mostly digging up roads and listening to podcasts.
- Health week 1/5.
- Yeah, this post is late. Notes backlog and not eating. Can’t think of any better reasons right now.
- Week of ketosis without fasting, well I skipped breakfast (IF), but I don’t really count that as fasting anymore. Just a change in diet – protein, fat, fibre.
- Monday, podcast drive to the office, cholesterol test (like real blood test at PathCare – costs R377 – pretty quick and easy – there is a PathCare in our building), BIA test at the Discovery shop, went to go buy some coconut oil for the office (cold pressed, extra virgin), catch up chat with Jack (Stellenbosch underwater hockey coach) – we’re going to try and test ketogenic diets for underwater hockey players for longer breath hold times, catch up chat with Michael about an education project idea, sunset promenade walk with Dan – we mostly chatted swimming and farming, early supper at La Vie with Dan and a fresh lime and soda (why have I not thought of this drink before?).
- Olympus Mons is the largest volcano in the solar system.
“Life is the little things, repeated.”
- Hedonic treadmill theory.
- Tuesday, TiTea, gym – squats day, my wrist is still not totally happy – I figured 4 weeks of resting would fix it, but I guess not – can’t really bench press, podcast drive to the office, got my cholesterol results (not bad), another BIA data point collected, had a bit of a moment with Naulene again for not taking Mia to the doctor and rather giving her “organic” medicine – she finally took Mia to the doctor – 7 days after she started to vomit and after 4 days of missing school – brain hurt, some GPON lab testing, quick sunset promenade walk, Octotel Mouille Point community information evening, had a broccoli, kale, avo, grass fed steak and keto mousse supper with Wouter… astronaut food.
Cholesterol test results:
Total 6.5 (not great)
LDL 4.3 (not great)
HDL 1.8 (good)
Total Cholesterol to HDL ratio: 3.5 (good)
- Kinda woke up thinking, thank goodness I’m over my end of 2014 wobble.
“If there are answers at the back of the book, it’s not a good problem.”
- Stating the obvious, but zero alcohol for a few days makes a difference, to sleep quality and mood.
- Wednesday, podcast walk to the office, green tea with coconut oil (new IF routine), fetched my new iPhone 6S, city fibre meeting (one of the better ones), walked home for a late lunch, catch up promenade walk with Dan, quick visit to Dan’s new Camps Bay house, early supper of sardines, oysters, avos and keto mousse, I had to make myself a new phone background for some reason, mostly reading and notes processing.
- Octotel moved office again (see above). We are now in The Bureaux Black space on the 8th foor (and we still have an office on the 6th floor). Makes way more sense to be on the 8th floor (-:
- The iPhone migration was pretty painless, except for having to log into 16 apps again. Meh. Still super impressive that you can, in one day, totally migrate over to a new phone. I can’t say the whole 3D Touch thing is useful (yet), new policy: maximum two screens of apps – without folders – except one folder for all the useless apps you can’t delete. I have to say the iPhone6S is very much on the edge of being too big – if you want to operate it with one hand (yeah – I know about that double tap screen scroll down thing). The camera is great – pretty much makes my little Canon S90 redundant.
- Thursday, podcast drive to the office, first morning in the new office, coconut green tea, some GPON lab testing, went to go listen to Pieter’s lecture based on his PhD research in the CBD, took Philippa for a quick tour of our new office and had a late lunch catch up at Knead (omelette at 15:00)- chats about AfrikaBurn, the recent Baxter show and Matcha green tea lattes, epic sunset, I cooked a healthy veg meal at home, chats with Wouter and some keto mousse.
- Mia was sick at home from Tuesday to Thursday. Sounds like she read about seven books.
“Innovation = New things that work.” — Pieter
“Get together and get things done.” — Edward Norton
- Your human-size life.
“The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for.” — Bob Marley
- Friday, TiTea, gym, office, fetched Mia from school, Gardens Centre, I had a haircut while Mia had her first manicure – she walked out with purple nails, found some Matcha tea, food shopping, sunset Glen Beach and Camps Bay walk – Mia had a series of riddles for me to answer – good fun, healthy supper, Mia and I made some keto mousse, we watched Back To The Future Part 2… time well spent.
- Our home recycle programme has expanded to include composting.
- Saturday, I experimented with making Matcha lattes – pretty good – 1/2 coconut milk – Mia liked it, Mia made us breakfast with a Tyler Swift soundtrack – I introduced her to the new Brandon Flowers, grapefruit, we fetched Cath and went to this dress shop in Bree Street, a visit to Michael’s house in Constantia and a tour of some land soon to be a weekend market, Kamers (at the Castle) with Mia and Cath – not really my vibe, but Mia liked it, pizza at Col’caccio’s in Camps Bay, dropped Cath off at home, Mia and I watched Back To The Future Part 3, sunset walk to Clifton, we watched The Goonies – Mia loved it… really make you crave adventure.
“From the hills of Kyoto comes Matcha, a tea steeped in Japanese lore. Matcha is a finely ground tealeaf that was first used by Zen monks as they believed it invoked mental clarity and physical energy. The Japanese regard Matcha equivalent to 10 cups of green tea. It is the perfect tea for when, just like the monks of old, you need to dedicate yourself to the task ahead.”
- Been doing my 10k steps per day. Nice to have some health stats on my phone again.
- ^5 to the guy/girl who invented the grapefruit knife.
- NuMetro finally fixed their iOS app. Was broken for weeks. I had to bug them. Now I can see what’s showing at the pretty much the only cinema I seem to ever go to.
- I’m looking for people to test my ketogenic diet ideas. I have two volunteers so far. Do you feel like losing 5kg fat and gaining 3kg muscle in 5 weeks? Get in touch.
- I realised this week that I pretty much have a work uniform. Chinos and blue shirts – when I’m not wearing the work golf shirts.
- Sunday, we drove to the Root 44 Market with Dan – pretty cool A5 Cab, mini golf, eisbein and Darling Bone Crushers with Dan, Caley, Fred, kids and co, we arrived back home and devoured a bag of grenadillas, sunset promenade walk with Mia, Paul and Philippa, burgers at Hussar / Mouille Point with Mia – usual table – usual batch of dinner questions for Mia – different waiter, in bed early.
- I’ve been making lists of dinner time questions for Mia through the week. Some interesting topics so far.
- Cape Town Soda: pint glass, ice, juice of one fresh lime, soda, tiny bit of salt. Yeah, I just made up the name, but try it.
- I think I should maybe write a TV show. Single dads in tech, with unhinged exes and interesting cooking tips. Sitcom or cooking show?
Have a fun week, crazy kids.
Just for fun, let’s post a zen home screen, I’m sure it will be good for a laugh when looking back at this in a few years…