What nerds do on evenings and weekends…
- Week of 20-26 June.
- Monday, podcast drive to the office, aquaponics design chat with Michael, brunch at Kleinsky’s with Paul… Latke Benedict with actual bacon, sunset walk to Clifton and a phone chat with Mia, beginners yoga class at The Yoga Life – pretty cool – I can see why people like it (and the instructor was super hot), sardines and avo for supper.
- In fact, the instructor reminded me of Mia’s mother a long time ago. Maybe if she kept doing yoga she would be less angry at the world now.
- Wouter gave me one of his prototype yoga mats, one of only three in the world (-:
- Note to self: watch a lot of Youtube clips about how all these yoga poses are supposed to work.
- I’m kinda taking on more of a marketing role at work soon, should be fun.
- Album of the week: Drive soundtrack.
- Tuesday, took some photos of the office for an article, radio ads meeting, lunchtime walk, investor meeting, swapped a fish tank, tested the pump – I think I need a bigger one, reading and research.
- Choose projects you can’t fail at, even if you fail.
- Wednesday, TiTea with Turmeric, gym, swim, sauna, cold showers, office, lunchtime walk, Vumatel meeting, MFN meeting, some marketing campaign design tinkering, (hot room) power yoga at The Yoga Life with Hilah – very zen moment after the class was over – they played the music from the plastic bag scene – I think I can get into this, cooked an uber healthy veggie meal at home (which in theory I could all have grown in an aquaponics farm – except for the avo), tinkered with a name for a startup idea but kept getting stuck on a Blade Runner theme.
- Tune of the week: The plastic bag scene.
- Power yoga is not for sissies. That room is pretty hot.
“The courage of exploring vs. the commitment to staying.”
- Seems fat + fructose causes resistance to hormones that regulate hunger and habit (your mind) trumps the feeling of being full, but a purpose/commitment and mindfulness works to avoid unhealthy food. It’s a mind game.
“Strong Opinions, Loosely Held.” — Marc Andreessen
“Cult and fringe …what the nerds do on nights and weekends.” — Marc Andreesen
- I’m starting to think that if you want to build (technology) businesses, you don’t really want a woman in your life. I just find I get so much more useful thinking done. Love is not the answer. Art is.
- Create new things. Experience new things.
- Thursday, office, catch up breakfast with Gavin – mostly blockchain thinking, VoIP PBX meeting, chats about Soylent diets around the office, bumped into Dave D and took a walk around Bantry Bay with him, epic sunset as we left the office, Michael and I had some beer while operating power tools – to build a bell siphon for our aquaponics farm – we managed to get it working, I cooked another uber healthy supper to mimic what I can grow in an aquaponics farm (but swapped the tilapia for sardines), phone chat with Mia.
- The Silicon Valley of hardware: WIRED’s Shenzhen documentary.
- Friday, podcast drive to the office, fetched Mia from school – start of the school holidays, lunch at The Millhouse Kitchen at Lourensford with Mia – we had a chat about her school report, dentist visit with Mia – teeth feeling super clean, office, promenade walk with Mia, a drink at La Vie, pizza at Posticino’s with Mia and Philippa (who now has an office in our building) – we did the usual dinner questions – chats about meditation, what is happiness?, why touch typing from a young age is a good idea – and the balance between the courage to explore new things and sticking around, we picked up a selection of dark chocolate on the way home and watched The Last Star Fighter (1984)… wholesome sci-fi classic, Mia liked it.
- Open plan offices can be pretty painful if there are 3 conversations going on at once.
- He-Man coloured tea is overrated. I like my tea like a 3yo likes it. Milky and creamy, with pasture fed milk, in a bigger than usual cup.
- My new theory is that the fat on top of the Camphill milk keeps it fresh. Seems to last 2+ weeks.
- What are you most excited about? Which ideas would you die for?
- Saturday, tea and reading, introduced Mia to the Headspace app, I explained bell siphons to Mia, Knead with Cath and Mia – we made some keto diet notes, Myog, BIA machine party at the Discovery shop, promenade walk with Cath and Mia – we chatted diets and app ideas, watched the rugby at Pastis with Dan and Claus and Mia – and played some Star Wars Top Trumps, watched My Fair Lady with Mia and Philippa – epic 3 hour classic.
“That’s my profession, also my hobby.” — My Fair Lady
- Seems Gery is staying with us for a few days.
- Sunday, tea and photo processing, breakfast at Newport Deli with Mia and Wouter, some blogging while we watched The Gremlins (1984)… Mia liked it, Mia watched The Goonies again – I motivated myself to finally (!) sort through my AfrikaBurn crates, sunset promenade walk with Mia, Wouter made a very nice Spaghetti alla Carbonara again, we watched The Gremlins 2, time well spent.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.