- Week of 22 to 28 August.
- I wrote this post at The Duchess of Wisbeach.
- Monday, made Mia some breakfast and fed her a hand full of vitamins with some grass fed milk, rainy school run, gym – I can bench 90kg again – only took three months for my wrist to heal properly – don’t do stupid things kids, cold showers, office, photo processing and blogging, quick promenade walk, cooked a batch of broccoli, tinkered with my RPi control system while the cat following me around.
- Sometimes I think it really helps to be able to file all my notes and noise of a week in a blog post and press publish.
- Remember: Live for the now. Be link music / dancing.
- Paul is back from his EU holiday. Seems he missed two flights and a train. Lost an iPhone. Sounds about right for an EU adventure. Must suck to not have any photos.
- Sam is back, he also missed a flight. It’s been a long month of playing pool guy, but I think I did a good job.
- Etienne is in Cape Town this week. It’s been ages.
- Tuesday, the cat woke me up – it does not seem to want to leave, oh bother, podcast walk to the office, lunchtime promenade walk, wrote an ISP newsletter, aqp water tests.
- 2001 explained.
- So, Joburg and Pretoria and PE also have DA mayors now. Very cool. Episode IV: A New Hope.
- Linux turned 25yo. Wow. It’s pretty much everywhere.
- Wednesday, Shrek tea (matcha and turmeric), gym, office, sunset podcast promenade walk, discovered the Longview service from Linode, upgraded some websites to WP4.6, played with PyCharm Edu 3.
- People seem to lose all sense of personal space when they get a personal trainer. Why do you want to stand around in the middle of where everybody wants to walk? Muppets.
- I’ve been much more into aquaponics than health hacking recently. It’s time for a health mission soon.
- Thursday, Shrek tea, swim, cold showers, Mweb technical integration meeting, office, watched Mia’s hockey, early supper around Strand beach, a (“Strand small”) softserve ice cream, we chatted about fear – why we have it – then it’s good and when it’s not so useful, dropped Mia off at her mom’s house, podcast drive to Cape Town – phone chat with Etienne.
“We Shall Build Good Ships Here; At A Profit If We Can, At A Loss If We Must, But Always Good Ships.” — Collis Potter Huntington.
- Disobey fear.
- Kinda feels like I outsource my child to India in week days. Email only. No phone calls. No text messages. Long delays. You kinda suspect that the call centre hates you. Same vibe.
Dave: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
HAL: I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.
Dave: What’s the problem?
HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
- Friday, podcast walk to the office, lunchtime walk, after work drinks on the roof – chats with Martin about Django dev, a Campari with Etienne at La Vie, drinks at Hilah’s house with Paul and Claus – Paul brought me a Killers tshirt from his travels – rad!, I kinda fell asleep before everybody went out to Van Hunks, oops – I must have been tired.
- Fibre, food, health seem to be the main themes. Only took me 18 months figure that out.
- Find something that ads value which you can automate. Then enjoy life. Maybe that is the answer to The Matrix.
- I’ve used about 500ml coconut oil in my morning teas, in the last year.
- Saturday, woke up fairly early at Hilah’s house and read some Glamour Magazines, tea with Hilah, chilled at home and tinkered with the aqp farm while reading about React and Django, epic raw cacao smoothie, lunch at Sevruga with Etienne, a drink at Ferrymans, we spent some time looking for Etienne’s rental car in the Waterfront parking lot while he walked around asking people to hug him – fearless random hugs – found a helpful parking support guy who told me about 30 people lose their cars there every day – I think we were a unique case as we did not know the registration number or make or model or colour…. “it was kinda white or silver or grey” – Etienne kinda stole the guy’s bike and later returned it – my first tailgating experience (while listening to Me And Julio Down By The Schoolyard – for Wes Anderson movie effect), watched the rugby at Van Hunks (about 75% – not sure who won) – I guess it was kinda inevitable that I would end up there – my first Tipo Tinto rum with Raspberry Sparletta.
- It’s okay to be a bit odd, I think.
- Sunday, aqp water tests – NO2 is still too high for adding fish – I showed Etienne my farming toys, fetched Cath, Cape Town mini Maker Faire – pretty cool… less 3D printing this year, burger in a bowl at Da Vinci’s, took a walk around De Waal park with Stefano, climbed to the top of Lions Head with Cath – chats about podcasts, time well spent.
- If you want to get into podcasts… listen to this and this and this. And this.
- Tune of the week: The Killers – A Dustland Fairytale.
Have a fun week, crazy cats.