It’s good to have you with us, even if it’s just for the day…
- Week of 9-15 January.
- Monday, first day back at the office, lots of random little bits of admin and email scrubbing, a late lunch at Giovanni’s with Paul, a fairly long and somewhat windy promenade walk with Paul, watched the 2nd half of About Time with Heleen – love that movie.
“The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind. The kind that blindsides you at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday.” — from About Time
- Baz Luhrmann – Everybody’s Free To Wear Sunscreen
- New year resolution – more software dev, think global.
- Tuesday, office, smoothie with Heleen, set out to find some photos of the last 10 years of suicide gorge walks for a blog post, took a long aimless walk around Sea Point – the area I don’t usually see – phone chat with Paul – felt like a tourist having a good flaneuring walk around a holiday town – nice weather, started phoning Heleen every 10 minutes because she went for a run up Table Mountain and it was already dark, found some Chinese food and a beer, mild panic, she finally phoned back – almost had a sea and mountain rescue in the same week.
- I wrote a post about 10 Years of Suicide Gorge hikes.
- Wednesday, office, catch up chat with Michael, a smoothie with Heleen – I took her a somewhat late (and nerdy) xmas gift, misty sunset promenade walk with Heleen (see above), made a salad, we watched The Perks of Being a Wallflower – very cool movie – seems we were both wallflowers, cool scene driving through the bridge.
- Belief is irresistible.
“We accept the love we think we deserve.” — The Perks of Being a Wallflower
- Memory journeys.
- Thursday, office, salad with Heleen, had plans to go to First Fizzday in Stellenbosch but just went for a promenade walk and fetched my hoodie from Wouter’s house, made banana bread with Heleen – well, I watched her bake.
- Friday, banana bread for breakfast, office, coffee with Heleen, fetched Mia, found some biltong, clothes shopping for Mia, almost got an Apple Watch Series 2 – but they only had a white model, drove to Stellenbosch and viewed an apartment, a drink at Trumpet Tree for Al’s birthday – we bumped into Anjela, a swim and a steam bath with Mia, Hussar burger, a walk around inner Stellenbosch.
“Daai girl lyk nie soos trou materiaal nie.” — Heleen’s comment on a photo of Paul’s date.
“What’s for you will not pass you by.” — Moloko.
- Saturday, breakfast at Eendracht Hotel, I read the Eikestad Nuus while Mia had a jacuzzi bath, shopping outing – mostly to get a present or two for Al – Mia really loves the Typo shop, swim, steam bath, cold shower, Al’s birthday braai with Mia, Heleen, Margot, Eleonora and Corlia at De Zalze, swims and great filet steak and a very nice Uva Mira red – thanks Al, Mia insisted on an evening dark chocolate run.
- Happy birthday, Al!
- Sunday, breakfast at the De Zalze clubhouse with Al and Mia, a more nippy than usual nippers – windy – but, not sure why I buy the wetsuits – Mia never wears them, road trip to Elgin with a Sam’s Town / Killers soundtrack, ribs at The Hickory Shack with slaw and Texas toast, Houw Hoek Hotel, nap, late afternoon walk with Mia, she found a small boat and navigated a pond with lots of water lilies, watched the end of the last Matrix movie – which was very confusing for Mia – who is this Neo guy and why can he use “The Force”?, calamari and Ataraxia Pinot, I think we might have been the only people in the hotel, last minute mission to get a school uniform washed and ironed, time well spent.
What kind of music do you usually have here? – “We got both kinds, we got country and western.” — about the music at The Hickory Shack
- Killers. My soundtrack for life it seems.
- I have not been wearing a watch since November. Kinda makes me less worried about time I think.
- Tune of the week: Why do I keep counting – The Killers
Have a fun week, crazy kids.