The call to adventure part one: Wolfchops, lilos and abductions…
- Week of 16-22 January.
- Dear blog, sorry I’ve been neglecting you, this post is at least four weeks late. I had about 150 notes to process. I seem to stop publishing blog posts when I’m stressed and uncertain about things. Don’t stress, I’ll catch up on the four missing posts in the next few days.
- Monday, woke up at the Houw Hoek Hotel, school run – arrived just in time, swim, coffee with Heleen, office, Waterfront, found an Apple Watch Series 2 – space grey, dinner at Kushi with Georg and Heleen.
- I did some Vitality Apple watch research via Twitter this week. Let’s just say I was very happy to close the Twitter app again after I got what I was looking for. So long Twitter.
- Feels like the holiday season is finally over now.
“Productivity is for machines. If you can measure it, robots should do it. Humans excel at wasting time, experimenting, playing, creating, and exploring. None of these fare well under the scrutiny of productivity.” — Kevin Kelly
- Tuesday, office, configured my Apple Watch, strategy meeting to work out what I should be focusing on this year – I see some software dev, mountain biking and more dad-mode in my future, pastrami, pickles and slaw at Kleinsky’s, found some running shoes – Discovery shoes deal – I’m a sucker for this health gamification thing, tapas at Mezepoli in Camps Bay with Georg and Cath… epic weather, beautiful sunset, time well spent.
- Wednesday, office, automation systems meeting, Sababa lunch with Heleen, had a Bloed Lemoen G&T at Strolla while writing a blog post about a Watch, sold my Wolfkop ticket / last minute Ned Flanders thing, sorry Paul.
- I’m very happy with my New Balance Fresh Foam 1080 shoes. So long Nike.
- My notes on the Discovery Apple Watch deal.
- Mia’s inter-house athletics results: 1st with long jump, 2nd with shotput and high jump. 1st with 1200m run. 2nd with the 100m sprint. She also won a trophy for best athlete in her grade: Junior Victrix Ludorum.
- Mia won all her inter-house swimming events. Channelling some Rushmore.
“How I wish I could relive the whole thing.” — Phil Knight, about building Nike
- Be a mentor.
- Create the world you want to live in.
- Thursday, should have gone to a Secret Sunrise event – but ended up just going for a promenade walk with Heleen, office, ISP contract meeting, dentist, Sababa lunch with Heleen, my first Shawarma Express dinner, Heleen broke up with me.
“The joy of less. Edit your life.”
- I feel like I’m behind with a lot of podcasts. Like 80+ backlog.
- Memeburn article: Is Vitality’s Apple Watch deal worth it? Cape Town blogger finds out.
- Friday, office, Octotel connected its 1000th customer, Camphill milk shopping, found some snacks for Mia, watched Mia’s inter-house athletics and played photographer, found a Wolfkop ticket again (since I was single at this point in time) – thanks Anja!, bought a lilo, a cooler bag and some board shorts, found a big batch of flowers for Heleen.
- I’ve kinda been without a home since October, not homeless, but feeling like a tourist, stoic experiment maybe. Travelling light.
- Saturday, road trip to Citrusdal with Tom, Wolfkop adventure with Wouter, Nelia, Graham, Philippa, Claus, Janey, Michael, Nicole and Paul, epic party, one big heaving nest of lilos on the river, good music and great weather, lots of swimming and lilo chilling, Paul was missing all day, I took a nap in his tent late afternoon – a sure way to find him, he kinda managed to get himself abducted to a nearby farm the previous night, in bed fairly early, time well spent – really awesome outdoor event, must go again.
“Paul has two settings: Liza Minnelli or Weekend at Bernie’s.” — Claus
“Skinny, with issues.” — Paul, about my type.
- Sunday, chilled day next to the river with Paul, Lyal, Joel and Wouter, Lima had some good stories about her Thailand snorkling adventures, evening adventures around the camping village with Paul, bumped into Luke and Abbey, memories of rolling down a grassy hill once or twice with Paul, in bed early again, time well spent.
- Feb Health Sprint starting soon.
- Tune of the week: The Smashing Pumpkins : Landslide.
- I later worked out that whole breakup thing was a misunderstanding.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.