Nippers, end of the swimming season and a few medals…
- Week of 27 February to 5 March.
- Monday, work, gym, Launch Lab tour, fetched Mia, watched the Helderberg Zonal gala – last gala of the season, greek food for supper with Mia and chats about how the music industry evolved over last 30years, Myog.
- Mia won a silver medal in her butterfly race. Her ladder relay was 2nd – fun race to watch. She was 4th is the IM and the freestyle, just missed those medals, but at least it added some points.
- I downloaded about 20 podcasts for Mia on her phone, but when I asked if she listened to them I figured out she downloaded others and listened to them rather. Interesting. Mostly 99pi it seems.
“The die has been cast. There is no free will.”
- Naulene sent Mia to the gala without her goggles and without a cap. I’m not sure how you manage to do that for the most important gala of the season.
- Tuesday, school run, gym, podcast drive to the office, health hacking chat with Tom at Knead, worked at the Radisson to avoid the traffic – nice sunset on the last day of February.
- Is it just me, or does an analog watch face on an Apple Watch seem weird?
“Expect magic in every encounter.”
- Use your intuitive mind.
- Wednesday, podcast drive to the office, dev meeting, fetched my TV, promenade walk, Mondiall burger, walked around the Waterfront some more to get to 10k steps, had a Passionate Blonde at Sevruga with some notes processing.
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.” — Robert A. Heinlein
- Thursday, work, gym, bumped into Dirk, worked some more at Simonsig, First Fizzday with Paul and Hanno – Paul played photographer – there was a series of photos of hot woman on my camera, dark chocolate, time well spent.
- How things get done: urgency and agency.
“Exercise is medicine.”
“The word essay derives from the French infinitive essayer, ‘to try’ or ‘to attempt’.”
- Friday, up early, podcast drive to the gym, swim, office, document writing, fetched Mia, some shopping for Mia for her upcoming camp, supper with Mia at Eikendal, tiramisu and semifreddo at Wijnhuis, yum.
- A weekend of pretty much just lifesaving and photography…
- Saturday, played team photographer and (super) dad support crew at the Western Province nippers champs on Clifton 4, long day, pizza and photo processing at Col’caccios in Stellenbosch with Mia, in bed early.
- Sunday, up early, Clifton 4th by 8:00ish, another day of nippers, swim with Mia – the sea was packed with nippers kids, stayed for the prize giving, another swim – paradise really, pizza and tiramisu at Posticino and more photo processing, in bed early, time well spent.
- Mia won a bronze for the Surf Swim and a silver for the Run-Swim-Run event. Her club was 5th overall. Fish Hoek was the winning club. She was 11th in the beach run. Cool event.
- There was a moment towards the end of the nippers event where I could really appreciate how cool it is that they get to do lifesaving on these beautiful beaches. Magic. Nice end to a season and many of hours of swimming training.
- I seem to be into black mushrooms and garlic on pizza recently. Mia is still only interested in ham and pineapple pizzas.
“Wisdom is learning to take your own advice.”
- After a month of living in my new ~home, I managed to do a first batch of dishes, mostly complimentary wine glasses from wine festivals, not sure if this is stoicism or hedonism.
- I took about 230 photos this week, but for some reason it was hard to find 10 to put on the blog.
- Tune of the week: Depeche Mode – Everything Counts
Have a fun week, crazy kids.