- Week of 1-7 May.
- Monday, last day at AfrikaBurn, Paul arrived at the camp as I woke up, mostly packing and cycling around to see a few last things, found Richard and Tom at the Loki camp, final packing and clean up, I drove the R355 dirt road stretch back to Ceres – thankfully no tyre issues on the way back, Paul and I stopped at the Spur in Ceres, drove to Stellenbosch.
- No luck with that SU.org GIC thing.
- Unlike last year’s AfrikaBurn, which involved damage on many levels, this year’s burn was very chilled… no damage done. Easy and predictable. All we needed was there. Group dynamics worked. Food was easy and just enough (the usual avo, lime, biltong, almonds), water worked out well. But, I suspect the best burn, for me, was still 2014.
- Tuesday, processed some AfrikaBurn photos, published 146 photos – I’m pretty happy with the photos I took, some notes processing and blogging, backups, car unpacking, dropped my camping gear in storage, booked into the Mojo Hotel – pretty close to our office – visited the new Mojo Market for some oysters (brain food) and bubbly – which is very cool – many more lunch options nearby, half a shwarma with Heleen – who I had not seen in about 7 weeks, a Jamey and tiramisu at Posticino and a drive up Table Mountain to go view some city lights with Heleen – mostly chats about saving the world… and something about her not being sure about our relationship – which leads me to believe I’m single again.
- “Hell yeah!, or no.”
“It’s a good place for cat typing on Valium.” — Paul, I can’t remember which place he was talking about though.
- I now have 25 podcasts I subscribe to. I should maybe write a blog post about how to get into podcast listening.
- I’m 60 podcasts behind after going to AfrikaBurn.
- Wednesday, a 2 minute walk to the office, first day in the office for a while – so lots of email and RSS scrubbing, Uber ride while reading Pocket articles, meeting at MWEB, catch up chat with Dan, an epic nap, tapas and curry at Sundoo with Georg, we had a Belvedere Vodka Martini with some olives at Harvey’s at Winchester Mansions and then we pretended to watch some football, gelato at Mojo Market.
- Love this guy… Quitting the Silicon Valley Swamp
- Thursday, great shower – felt super clean for the first time after returning from the burn, office, moar email scrubbing, managed to catch up on my RSS backlog, Sababa lunch with Paul, mapped out some logic for Octotel’s ticketing system, did some reading on NOSs, found a good deal and checked into Winchester Mansions – Mojo Hotel was a bit lame, bar food and cat typing and fighting with my email backlog, I managed to confirm that I am in fact, now single, groovy.
“Let the first impulse pass. Wait for the second.” — Baltasar Gracian
- You’ll probably forget the tough times.
- Instagram ads are getting super annoying. Have to just browse with a web browser and ad blocker.
- Memories of hearing this at the burn… Baz Luhrmann – Everybody’s Free To Wear Sunscreen
- Also memories of hearing this: Counting Crows – Round Here, great lyrics… to all the misunderstood Maria’s in the world.
- Friday, hotel breakfast – bircher muesli with some Miss Molly and orange juice, office, more ticketing system configs, watched Mia’s hockey tournament – they won bronze medals, a drink at Van Hunks with Georg and the local bar dog (an actual dog – see below), Jason’s 90s Rave Party at La Parada – good fun, more than one good memory of 90s raves.
“Chicken or beef?” — Chris, about Tequila and Jagermeister
- Being Lazy Is the Key to Success
- If you have not yet read/watched (a lot) of the Derek Sivers and Jordan Peterson stuff. Do it. Do it this week.
- Saturday, woke up with a glowstick around my wrist in Clifton, watched The Wedding Crashers again, back to Van Hunks to fetch my car, breakfast and a Bloody Mary with Georg and Chris, a swim at the Silo gym, cat typing with an activated chia and ginger shot, watched John Wick 2 at the V&A VIP cinema – senseless, but entertaining, a Hussar steak with Georg and a cocktail at La Vie, watched Heat again – epic movie.
“Don’t let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.” — Heat
- I think my Stellenbosch living experiment failed. It was a fun summer. Winter is for working. Maybe now I’ll appreciate Cape Town more – for a while.
“I am capable of learning nothing from almost any experience, no matter how profound.” — Tim Kreider
- Sunday, watched some John Oliver – mostly about the French election, a walk from Glen beach to the end of Camps Bay beach, catch up with Jurie and Georg at La Vie, backups, notes and hockey photo processing and reading.
“Get married and die of loneliness.” — Jurie, about how people lose friends after getting married
- Have to wonder about people who mix their active wear brands.
- Every now and again, I guess I have to say that many of the notes that make it into this blog are pretty random and probably don’t have any meaning. I’m really just doing this to live twice, at least the interesting parts of each week.
- Tune of the week: God Moving Over The Face of the Waters – Moby / Kronos Quartet
Have a fun week, crazy kids.