Man in the arena, gigabit internet, found my phone…
- Week of 15-21 May.
- Monday, school run from Botrivier with some podcast listening, W Cafe – bumped into JD, gym, steam bath, podcast drive to the office, sunset walk with Heleen, Wouter visit, indian tapas at Sundoo with Georg and Nick, a Belvedere Marini at Harveys – and some of Wellington’s finest (WF / Bains Mountain Whisky).
- Tuesday, epic breakfast on the Winchester Mansions porch with some Miss Molly, meeting at Jarryds, office, AfrikaBurn group meetup at La Vie – mostly chats about theme camp ideas for 2018.
- I’m moving to Cape Town again, not that I ever really left.
- 30 Seconds To Mars – Kings and Queens
- Found this again: The Ideal Founder
- Wednesday, three course breakfast on the porch, office, Apple OS upgrade day, dev meeting, catch up chat with Dan, played with VirtualBox networking.
- I switched to a full dvorak keyboard layout this week – using Karabiner Elements – mostly because of VirtualBox. I kinda liked using Qwerty for shortcut keys in the past. Oh well. Took two or three days to get used to the change.
- Thursday, gym, office, fetched Mia’s gum guard, fetched Mia, watched her hockey – astro game, dinner at Dirk’s house with some Beaumont Mourvedre.
- Friday, office, dev meetings and Django setups, very randomly got a call to say somebody found my iPhone after that Pixies concert, La Vie with Georg, watched Jonathan of Radio Raps fame at GrandWest with Georg – good show – some very funny parts.
- I have my iPhone 6s back, the universe is pretty cool. I also have some photos from the Pixies show now. Lifetime total phones-lost-or-stolen-count back down to: 1. Not bad.
- Saturday, phone backup and restore, breakfast at the Granger Bay market with Wouter, hockey photo processing, had to reset my watch and login to a bunch of apps again, took a long (10k steps) sunset promenade walk – epic sunset, a beer at La Vie and wrote a blog post after some notes I made on my walk.
“Share strong opinions.
Strong opinions are very useful to others.
Those who were undecided or ambivalent can just adopt your stance.
But those who disagree can solidify their stance by arguing against yours.
Even if you invent an opinion for the sole sake of argument, boldly sharing a strong opinion is very useful to others.” — Derek Sivers
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” — Theodore Roosevelt
“The poem the reader reads may be better than that which the writer wrote. Try to make things that can become better than what you thought you were doing.” — Brian Eno
- I now have gigabit internet at home (faster than at the office), but I only get about 50Mbps over the wifi. Time to rethink the wifi setup.
- Worth a re-watch: Jordan Peterson – Women In High Paying Jobs
- Sunday, promenade walk with Georg, Rick and Morty on Netflix – very funny, breakfast at Bootleggers in Bakoven with Wouter, Waterfront shopping – got a goose down jacket because it’s going to be winter any day now and I don’t know where two of my hoodies went (wine festival problem maybe), some blogging, braai with Wouter and friends and some of Wellington’s finest, a drink at La Vie with Georg, more Rick and Morty, time well spent.
- We might be going on a Matjiesfontein adventure soon.
- Remember, don’t buy clothes, unless you really need them, or if it’s going to be your most used item for the next few months. Hell yeah, I think I’m going to be wearing this thing all winter.
- What’s with these half-automated bathrooms? If you are going to put a sensor in a tap, then just put sensors in the soap dispenser and the hand dryer. Don’t confuse people. Muppets.
- My plan for next week: live in one place for more than five days.
- Tune of the week: Patrice Baumel – Surge
- I’ve started a new blog category: Strong Opinions. Let’s see if I can think up some useful content for it.