Matjiesfontein Wolfkop and HTTP2…
- Week of 29 May to 4 June.
- Monday, extended school run – the N2 was closed because of a protest, fetched a hoodie from JD, gym, swim, office, smoothie with Heleen, sunset promenade walk, catch up with Georg and Nick at the Winchester with a Caipirinha and some authentic South American Cachaca.
- I was in the news: Workonline taps into Octotel’s FTTH network.
- Seems telco nerds are pretty happy.
Rational People: Use data and reason to arrive at truth. (This group is mostly imaginary.)
Word-Thinkers: Use labels, word definitions, and analogies to create the illusion of rational thinking. This group is 99% of the world.
Persuaders: Use simplicity, repetition, emotion, habit, aspirations, visual communication, and other tools of persuasion to program other people and themselves. This group is about 1% of the population and effectively control the word-thinkers of the world.
- Tuesday, podcast walk to the office, dev meeting, took a lunchtime walk to Sababa – bumped into Philippa, walked to Michael’s, design session with Michael and Chris, walked home, El Burro supper and a chili margarita with Wouter, Anderson and Shaun.
- Ludwig van Beethoven’s 9th symphony stretched to 24 hours.
- Happy to report that my Qwerty shortcut key habit is now a thing of the past.
- Wednesday, office, ramen for lunch at Three Wise Monkeys – very good, lots of systems testing, catch up chat with Gys at Mojo Market, La Vie with Georg, tinkered with uWSGI and supervisord.
- Thursday, office, a glass of wine at Dirk’s house, took a walk from Cath’s house to The Blue Cafe, catch up with Cath (back from the US) and Georg, took Heleen some coconut water – she was doing a 24h 100km run through the city… #runningdry100
- We made the new Octotel automation system and API live this week. Django + REST APIs + some GeoDjango.
- I upgraded my websites to use HTTP2 and TLS 1.2, so you should now be reading this via HTTP2.
“The only people who can still strike us as normal are those we don’t yet know very well.” — Alain de Botton
- Friday, up early, checked the Octotel API and made a last few tweaks to finish our systems migration, went to go say hi to Heleen at the Mouille Point lighthouse, Point gym, swim, office, road trip to Matjiesfontein with Georg, epic party at the train station.
- My 3rd Wolfkop adventure. Super fun, as always. Thanks Werner and crew!
- Saturday, hotel breakfast, bloody mary at the Life Aquatic pool party, high tea and Bloedlemoen G&Ts on the lawn with Georg, Pierre, Stefan and Dawid, party in the transport museum and court house, felt like an endless day, great fun, time well spent.
- Sunday, hotel breakfast with Georg, chilled afternoon at the transport museum, epic nap, dinner at the hotel with Georg, phone chat with Mia.
- Tunes of the week: listen to the new Alt-J Relaxer.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.