Wrath of the Kahns, Debian 9 and three rounds of Van Hunks…
- Week of 12-18 June.
- Health week 1/3, kinda.
- Monday, school run, photo processing with some senior citizens in the Spur, gym with a Taylor Swift soundtrack (after Mia loaded it on my phone), podcast drive to the office – Wrath of the Kahns, League of Emotionally Unavailable Gentlemen late lunch at Sundoo with Paul, bumped into somebody I met at Wolfkop, aimless sunset walk past Clifton with an Alt-J soundtrack, dinner at Georg’s house.
- I bugged Telegram to add a feature so I can not receive voice notes. No response.
- Notes from the Kahns series… Stir things up. Cause some creative destruction.
“The truth burns off dead wood.” — JP
“I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn’t screw to save its species. I wanted to open the dump valves on oil tankers and smother all those French beaches I’d never see. I wanted to breathe smoke. I felt like destroying something beautiful.” — Fight Club
- Tuesday, office, lunchtime podcast walk, stayed in the office till pretty late, dinner with Wouter and Shaun, did some VPP reading.
- Calm is a superpower.
“Remember that we are not descended from fearful men – not from men who feared to write, to speak, to associate and to defend causes that were, for the moment, unpopular.” — Edward R. Murrow
- Wednesday, up early, cat typing at Silo gym, swim, office, played with Docker for Mac, dinner at Dennis and Hugo’s house with Georg – looks like I’m going to house-sit for a while.
- So yeah, for the next week or so, I might be one of those people that can’t stop talking about Docker.
- The Terrors of Being Loved.
- Thursday, office, dev meeting, catch up with Fred and Caley, Myog, sunset promenade walk, dinner with Wouter, listened to some Rachmaninov and Brahms by the Cape Town Philharmonic Orchestra at the Cape Town City Hall with Georg and Al, Van Hunks with Georg and Tanya – memories of talking to Ryan about creating something from nothing – zero to one.
- I finished listening to The Wrath of the Kahns series, 8hours+ epic history lesson, very good.
- Friday, public holiday, felt sorry for myself for about an hour, drove to Stellenboch, nice catch up with JM, late afternoon Chardonnay drinking and dinner at Dirk’s, Van Hunks round two with Georg, in bed early.
- I’ve been happily nerding away on a project over the last two weeks. Nice to learn and design interesting things.
- Saturday, happy Debian release day!, reading and tinkering with an old Macbook Pro, Van Hunks round three, watched the rugby – good game, fun evening with Georg, Al, Diabi, Pierre, Stefan and Hilah, ended up at Pierre’s place, time well spent.
- I have an old mid-2009 Macbook Pro which can’t be upgraded to macOS 10.12, so I figured I’d install Debian 9 on it and check out Wayland. I’ve also been keen to play with KVM.
- This makes me happy: Debian 9 Released.
- To celebrate the Stretch release, we have more than 45 parties in 25 different countries. Debian 9 Stretch is dedicated to the project’s founder Ian Murdock, who passed away. The Debian project started in 1993. At least 1436 people contributed to Debian in 2017. It comes with over 51,000 packages… how cool is it that about 1000 people can build something this rad!
“This is not 99pi. I am Roman Mars.”
- Sunday, Hussar Camps Bay lunch with Georg, installed Debian 9 on a Macbook Pro and played with Wayland and Sway, wrote a blog post about getting Debian running on a Macbook Pro.
- I figured I should start a blog category for technical posts: Muppet Labs.
- Tune of the week: Elton John – Tiny Dancer. Yeah.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.