Social media lost the plot around 2017 when Facebook and Instagram added stories.
Here is my quick guide to save you from this spiral of lame.
- Remove all social media mobile apps from your phone. Facebook. Instagram. Twitter. Bonus: you will waste less time.
- Post photos to Instagram with Flume for macOS.
- Browse Instagram with Firefox and uBlock Origin ad blocker. They really went overboard with the ads.
- Browse Facebook on the web only - or with a mobile web browser if you must. You kinda need this to find info about events. Use the Hide Post feature often to manage your feed.
- Use the Pocket feature in Firefox and the Pocket app on your phone. Useful for catching up on reading and keeps you from ending up with a million open tabs.
- Avoid Facebook Messenger. Delete the app now. It's pure evil. Don't send people Facebook messages unless you have no other option.
- Avoid WhatsApp, use Telegram.
- Avoid Twitter, it's been dead for a while - only use (read) it when you go on a protest march or want to share the odd link to a blog post. Also, you should probably not trust Twitter after they shadow banned Scott Adams.
- Which brings us to: host your own content! The day Facebook, Twitter and Gmail goes away you should be smiling, not crying.
Lastly, if you are going to be on these networks, at least post something interesting every week. Write, create, share. Too many time wasters and lurkers. Say something interesting! Share strong opinions.
More of my ideas on what tech you must use.
Previous posts in my Strong Opinions series.