Lonely perfection of my dreams…
- Week of 17 to 23 December.
- Monday, woke up in Tamboerskloof, lazy day with Paul, Shelley and Barbara – chilling on the trampoline again, chats about keyboard layouts and more than one bottle of bubbly, watched Ex Machina – well, maybe 1/2 of it.
- Tuesday, omelette breakfast at Beleza in Tamboerskloof with Paul, played with a server and tried to get the Debian installer to set up raid1/lvm, beers with Nick, dinner at Kristy’s down the road – nice catch up.
- Wednesday, slept fairly late, took a walk down Kloof Street, very tasty lunch at Loading Bay with Nick, walked around The Cape Quarter, Sea Point home visit – fetched a few things, late afternoon meeting, supper at The Blue Cafe, watched the 2nd half of Ex Machina.
- Never take an ex back – boy, I have sucked at this.
- My holiday calendar opened up fairly short notice. Dealing with unreasonable people makes you pretty good at the Stoic arts. Remember kids – you will encounter people without passion, people who are not life-long learners and who have no interest in creating anything of meaning, they will be sad and miserable and they will try to make the people around them unhappy. Nothing new, and nothing you can do about it.
- Aliens, Preditors and Engineers
“No one understands the lonely perfection of my dreams.” — David
- Never feed a stray cat.
- WWDD – business without moral failure.
“Cause sooner or later in life, the things you love you loose.” — Florence
- Thursday, slept late, walked down Kloof Street, annual vitality tests, breakfast at Wellness Warehouse, walked down Long Street, worked at Raw and Roxy (the old Fez?), Moro gelato, walked through the Company Gardens, a pilsner at Van Hunks, watered the plants at home, nap, a GnT with Paul, watched the first Renegade Report live stream on Youtube, watched Zodiac – well, some of it.
- I did some cholesterol hacking for a few days. tl;dr – I think it’s a good idea to eat enough mono-unsaturated fat and vit-c + lysine.
- Managed to get to Vitality Diamond status again, without completing any of their lame online forms, and without having to experience the lame attitudes of their Discovery shop staff.
- I suspect I have a weakness for Emmental cheese.
- 5 year plan: fibre, open source and open networking, devops, wwdd.
- Xmas gift-zero. New minimalism level.
- You need a welfare state to support people who are not competitive in modern society.
“It’s hard not to like a man of many qualities, even if most of them are bad.” — anonymous
“Each network has a personality. Always wear a black concert tshirt during change windows. Listen to 90s grunge, it soothes the network.” — Network Collective Podcast
- Friday, slept late, said goodbye to Paul, general tinkering and a bit of admin, reached an important milestone, epic nap, speedy backup, found a salad at Knead, watched ‘Juliet, Naked’ at the Labia with a beer – good movie – always liked Nick Hornby, finally finished watching Zodiac at 02:00.
- By now I was a bit napped-out, and not sure what day of the week it was.
- It’s been pretty entertaining just being alone and chilling.
- Pet hate: Cape Town shopping malls that switched off the taps in their bathrooms a while ago – and are too retarded to work out that the water restrictions have changed. Install water saving taps and switch them back on. Muppets.
- Saturday, slept late, late lunch omelette at Knead at Wembley Square, caught up on some blogging with Yo-Yo Ma Bach Chello Suites, gym, swim, sauna, watched Ayn Rand & the Prophecy of Atlas Shrugged doccie, watched Atlas Shrugged I (2011).
- Pet hate: paper straws. A small number of countries contribute most of the ocean pollution (clue: not Cape Town restaurants). Also, giving me a (lame) paper straw, but giving me a big plastic cup seems a bit screwed up? Eco muppets. Your little guilt campaign and actual impact are oceans apart.
“Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the secondary consequences.” — Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead
- Sunday, Waking Up app meditation, had a beer, listened to Ah-ha and played with IPv6, watched Atlas Shrugged II and III, watched Napoleon Dynamite – it had its moments.
- I discovered iStat Menus and SimplePing for macOS. Pretty cool.
- Reminder: How to be a Genius
- I was a bit low on photos for the week.
- Stating the obvious, but a good beer is delicious. Turns out that not drinking any beer for a year will make you miss it. Newlands Spring – Passionate Blond is great.
- Tune of the week: Affection – Cigarettes After Sex
- And another one: Yo-Yo Ma Bach Chello Suites 2018
Have a fun week, crazy kids.