Suntory time, Dymaxion Chronofile and Coughlin law…
- Week of 24 to 30 December. Last week of 2018.
- Monday, woke up in Tamboerskloof, some blogging, wine shopping, xmas dinner at Jacques’, had a Nikka whisky with Jacques, Suntory time.
“You will continue to suffer if you have an emotional reaction to everything that is said to you. True power is observing things with logic. True power is restraint. If words control you that means everyone else can control you. Breathe and allow things to pass.” — Warren Buffett
- In my 40s I have made peace with not getting an engineering degree. Engineering is for workers, not dreamers and hackers.
“There are two kinds of people in this world, the workers and the hustlers. The hustlers never work and the workers never hustle.” — Doug Coughlin
“Anything else is always something better.” — Doug Coughlin
“Hy hou nie van mense as hy nugter is nie.” — Jacques
- Tuesday, some reading – Pocket queue zero, family xmas braai at Rossouw’s, watched a movie with Jacques.
“You have to reconcile the conscious and the subconscious mind.” — Jacques, on JP and the ongoing internal struggles some people don’t know they are dealing with.
- Wednesday, watched Aquaman at the 3D IMAX – rad movie – perfect for imax, Ocean Basket lunch, back to TBK, went for a rainy podcast Lions Head walk, a steak at Nelson’s Eye – which was good, but it’s become a bit of a tourist trap.
“Capitalism has a diabetes problem, socialism has a hunger problem.” — Jacques
- South Africa to 2030: A strategic intelligence briefing – Frans Cronje : The Enclave Scenario.
- Funny, I remember having all kinds of plans to install FTTH in Stellenbosch in 2012, had a few meetings with suppliers, never went anywhere. Timing.
- The Other Golden Rule: Do unto yourself as you do unto others.
- Thursday, breakfast at The Blue Cafe down the road, caught up on some notes processing and reading, some learning about machine learning, did some major yearly spring cleaning of notes files and todo lists, finished watching Napoleon Dynamite, burger in a bowl and Da Vinci’s, a beer with Anton, sunset podcast promenade walk, played with radvd.
- Finally switched off all GustPay email, and retired a few other email configs from past projects.
- This is Water
- The Dymaxion Chronofile: Buckminster Fuller Documented His Life Every 15 Minutes, from 1920 Until 1983
- Friday, gym, made a mega keto brunch, fetched my laptop charger from Anton, took a walk down Kloof street, Moro gelato, fun and games with happy eyeballs (fast fallback to ipv4) – I’ve become that guy that’s unhappy if IPv6 is not working, 8km sunset walk to Camps Bay, pizza at Col’caccio, nightcap at La Vie, time well spent.
- Enjoy the doing. Zero to one. Something from nothing.
- On days you are not loving the doing; learn.
- I have some grand plans to meditate more often – the Waking Up app seems pretty cool.
- Try mindful eating. Really taste every bite.
- Notice interesting things around you. Be hyper aware of small details. Take different routes through your day. Wonder the woods.
- Maybe not getting comfortable keeps you young.
- Saturday, some notes processing and todo list trimming, nap, sunset podcast promenade walk, caught up on some blogging.
- I wrote a long overdue blog post: 30 Things I Wish I Knew Before Turning 30
“China – commie capitalists, they gave up on socialism, embraced capitalism but decided to give democracy a skip. South Africa – after a long walk to freedom, the ANC decided to give freedom a skip, and are flirting with socialism and confiscation without compensation.” ~- Jacques
- I posted something on FB which now has 190 comments. New record. Seems socialism is an interesting topic.
- When you convince FB to enable IPv6 in SA. Only took me three emails.
- R. E. M. – Electrolite – such a cool song. Play that at my funeral.
- Sunday, gym, swim, nap, Clifton 1st swim with Paul, Wouter and Rene, time well spent.
- Tune of the week: Keep On Loving You – Cigarettes After Sex
Have a fun week, crazy kids.