Calm is a superpower…
- Week of 24-30 June.
- Monday, school holidays, brunch at Knead with Mia, dog and cats sitting in Bakoven, work, Camps Bay beach walk with Romeo and Mia, we made hot chocolate and watched some random series on Netflix.
“Whoever is winning at the moment will always seem to be invincible.” — George Orwell
- Tueasday, work, ISP cross connect migrations, Mia and Romeo and I took a walk down to the Camps Bay strip for some sushi.
- I watched some series on Netflix this week. I’m not convinced Netflix, Amazon and Apple should be making movie/series content. They seem to run out of storyline by episode 3.
- Wednesday, basically spent a day looking for a key, watched the Sabrina series on Netflix.
- Thursday, office, GPON lab session, fun with cross connect migrations, found that key, braai with Mia and Nick.
- I’m now Google-free. Well, as good as I can get it, I still have Chrome installed to access two spreadsheets I can’t get away from yet.
- Friday, work, ISP cross connect cutover, we took Romeo for two beach walks – Camps Bay and Hout Bay, sunset braai with Mia – sirloin steaks and halloumi, time well spent.
- Saturday, a cat woke me up, fed the pets, braai meat for breakfast, random tinkering, dreaming and notes processing, Mia and I took Romeo for a Bakoven walk, we had curry at The Raj down the road, gelato, extended session of watching DC Titans on Netflix – no sure if that was a good or a bad idea.
- Good fun to have a dog for two weeks, and the one cat is very cool. I don’t usually like cats much – so this one is pretty spectacular.
- I’ve been trying to get Paul to listen to a few podcasts. He’s been busy installing a podcast app for about 6 months now. I’m hopeful he’ll listen to a podcast soon.
- Sunday, I woke Mia up – in the afternoon, we made breakfast, took Romeo for a beach walk around Oudekraal, then Llandudno, Hout Bay market and a walk around the harbour, supper at Primi down the road, Moro gelato hot chocolates, we watched Leon / The Professional – great 90s movie, watched Legends of the Fall (both from 1994) – epic movie – sadly Mia was not really impressed by the two movies, time well spent.
“I haven’t got time for this Mickey Mouse bullshit. You want cooperation, come to my office. Room 4602.” — Stansfield, The Professional
- On our Sunday outing to the Hout Bay Market, Mia and I were chatting about how small businesses start and about personal networks and trust – Mia asked the value of the companies I co-founded. It’s a fairly big number. Reminded me of the Naval tweetstorm:
“Pick an industry where you can play long term games with long term people.” — Naval
- Stating the obvious, but I never really understood that companies take 10 years to become valuable. Understand compounding, take a long-term view, and find people you really want to work with, for a long time. I still like the idea of starting one project per year (that could become a company).
- Tune of the week: You’re the voice – John Farnham
Have a fun week, crazy kids.