I saved Latin…
- Week of 27 January to 2 February.
- Yeah, this post is also late, I’ve been working on my home exec skills.
- Monday, school run, home office, backups, fetched Mia from water polo, we sampled the local Hussar steaks, sunset walk, photo processing.
- Open Source Licenses in 2020: Trends and Predictions.
- Tuesday, this entry went missing.
- This full time parenting business does involve some admin. Extra email and calendar management. Driving around, attending events. Extra things to plan and prepare for.
- Week of antihistamine. High pollen count in the valley.
- Sleep tracking project update: Results are fairly consistent, but lower than expected, usually about 7.5 hours of sleep, weekends can reach 10h. I added two silent alarms to wake her up more gracefully. Exploring meditation apps to get her to fall asleep quicker. She’s resisting the evening podcast listening plan. Also got a digital blood pressure monitor and started feeding her an iron supplement drink after an indecent of lightheadedness.
- Wednesday, school run, tea with Jacques, Volvo visit – got sunglass holders and a sun curtain – see below, Sea Point apartment, Strolla, Waterfront – fetched a green iPhone 11 Max, watched Mia’s water polo, braai with Mia, iPhone backups and migrations.
- Time invested in device configs adds up. Mission to do from scratch. Medical info, backups, three screens of apps to check etc.
- Navy is the new black. I simplified my wardrobe. Pic below.
- Thursday, up before sunrise, restored Mia’s iPhone backup to my old phone (with Finder not iTunes), steak for breakfast, school run, home office, watched Mia’s swimming gala in Paarl, awards evening at Rushmore – oh gaaawd sitting an a hot school hall for 2 hours is not my idea of a good time.
- My reluctant transition to USB-C seems to have begun.
- Truth peddling is dangerous business.
- Friday, watched Mia’s inter-house swimming gala, followed by the inter-house water polo, nap, braai at home with Paul – and a great Eikendal red.
- Mia was 2nd in a few swimming races and her water polo team won.
- iPhone 11 Pro Max mini review: I was worried I was not going to like the bigger size, but so far I like it. Can’t fault it, fast, great screen, good battery life, wide angle camera works well – claims to be 13mm equivalent – impressive. If you notice the square photo mode is missing from the camera app, you can adjust this and also use 16:9 mode. Btw. the new Swiftkey app with haptic feedback is pretty groovy, and works well for Afrikaans. 64G model has more than enough storage for my needs – I don’t keep photos on a phone for more than a week.
- Saturday, Bridge House Mile swim at Boschendal with Mia, Anton and Anton – Mia beat me, watched Rushmore again – 2nd best movie ever, nap, clubhouse pool with Jacques and family followed by a braai, time well spent.
- Note to self, do more open water swimming. Maybe try rope in a few friends.
- Sunday, lady grey tea, played home exec and did laundry etc, Mia went on a theatre club outing, so I went wine tasting with Paul at Glen Carlou, lunch at Cosecha with Paul, Adrian and Al – great food, nap, fetched Mia, sunset walk with a Campari, watched Chinatown (1974) – mostly because Edward Norton could not stop talking about it in his interview about Motherless Brooklyn.
“I’m on my way to the Start Wars cantina bar.” — Adrian, about the personalities at Van Hunks
- Note to self: visit Cosecha for brunch soon.
- Check out the Wes Anderson playlist(s) on Spotify.
“I saved Latin, what did you ever do?” — Max
- Tune of the week: Ooh La La – The Faces
Have a fun week, crazy kids.