Out to sea…
- Week of 17 to 23 February.
- Monday, no school run for a change, rainy podcast flaneuring around the golf course, home office, salads for supper at Col’caccios with Mia, Pinotage rooibos tea.
- Installed Zero fasting tracker app, after Tyler suggested it, pretty cool. Did not think fasting needed an app, but it’s kinda useful.
- Tuesday, school run, I was interviewed for a food science PhD research project on food labels – interesting, home office, some sysadmin tasks.
- After the food labels discussion, I think people often get stuck in small things when the high impact things seem boring. Sleep enough, move/walk, manage stress, eat less, eat clean, have a regular fasting routine. This is useful to know: My nutritional framework – restrict eating by time, volume and type.
“I live the way I type; fast, with a lot of mistakes.” — July 2011
- Wednesday, up early, school run, Boschendal breakfast, fetched my new set of Airpods Pro, Strolla, played with that Sony RX10 camera at Orms – pretty cool, extended wine tasting at Anthonij Rupert Wyne – go check it out, random mid-week braai at home with Mia and some Moreson Pinotage, blue face masks with Mia.
- Still pondering the RX10 mark4. Seems like a really good option, but it’s been around since 2017, so due for a refresh.
- I seem to use about 8GB of data via my car wifi per month. Mostly Spotify I think, podcast downloads, and hour long Facetime conversations with Jacques and Dirk while driving around – bashing socialism never gets old. Voice/phone services are pretty much free now. Also tested receiving good old SIP calls, works well.
- AirPods Pro mini-review: noise cancelling works well, I think I prefer the double-tap feature of the earlier Airpods, but the squeeze thing is not bad. They seem to work well for podcasts and audio books, 97% of the reason I bought them. You still can’t change the volume without using your phone or watch.
- I started listening to Zero to One again. He really goes on and on about finding monopoly business models. To be honest, I kinda enjoy audio books, but this must be the Nth trial account, can’t get myself to pay for a monthly service when there are so many good podcasts around.
- Thursday, school run, home office, meeting at Lanzerac with Dirk and Gys, wine tasting – Lanzerac make an _epic_ Chardonnay, a swim and a nap at the pool, watched Rushmore again – with Mia this time – the books about ocean exploring, aquarium and fish tank scenes really point at the later movie.
- Oh gaawd, yes, I’m now the kind of person than naps next to the pool.
- Friday, up early – because my UPS started beeping at 4am, joy, deep nerding on server hardware shopping, Mia had the day off, so we went on a Cape Town outing, lunch at Magica Roma in Pinelands, dentist visit, Stellenbosch, pool time and braai with Jacques and family – and some Moreson bubbly.
- Mia keeps her zero dental issues track record – winning at parenting.
- Saturday, steak for breakfast, home exec day while watching The Lorax again, device upgrades and backups, researched Mellanox NICs, sunset walk with Mia, watched Spider-Man (2002).
- Stop Using Encrypted Email
- The Mandalorian was shot on a holodeck-esque set with Unreal Engine, video shows
- Hydrogen-boron reactor leapfrogs current nuclear fusion tech
- Sunday, tea, some research into Faucet SDN, late lunch with Mia at Wijnhuis in Stellenbosch – great tiramisu – can’t fault Italian Sunday lunches, Franschhoek visit, nap, blogging, time well spent.
“Bert Fischer: You’re like one of those clipper ship captains. You’re married to the sea.
Max Fischer: Yes, that’s true, but I’ve been out to sea for a long time.” — Rushmore
- Tune of the week: The Killers – Just Another Girl – cool music video.
Have a fun week, crazy kids.