Commie Virus Groundhog Day…
- Week of 30 Mar to 5 April
- Bug out, week 3
- March went by really quickly – must have been spending all my time reading commie virus news.
- Monday, tea, server tinkering, we made breakfast enchiladas at about 4pm – good for breakfast and lunch and supper, video meeting for a pet project, we watched MIB III again.
- Tuesday, up early, read about VLAN-aware bridging with Linux, WW visit to get food, we had cake to celebrate Mia’s 14th birthday – how did this happen so soon?!
- Happy birthday, Mia! – I guess we’ll have to move your birthday party.
“Now that all the anti-vaxxers have become mighty quiet all of a sudden, they’ve all resurfaced as 5G conspiracy theorists.” — Paul
- Wednesday, mobility routine, tea and cake for brunch, video conference with the team, played with SR-IOV while listening to REM – they have some really epic music.
- Lots of tea making going on, lots, main-lining tea!
“Play silly games, win silly prizes.” — Naval
- I had to change some habits – move around more – stretch – drink less wine – was getting a bit out of hand – strange sleeping patterns – deep nerding on weird tech topics at 3am etc.
- Thursday, mobility routine, server tinkering and vlan plumbing, braai with Mia and Jacques via Facetime.
- On a positive note – I’m using this time to unsubscribe from a lot of random email lists – every clown and his dog thinks they need to send me something about the commie virus.
- I say the ‘commie bat lab fuckup’ story beats the ‘wet market’ story in the next 30 days.
- Check out the old REM albums
- Friday, extreme yak shaving and playing with Proxmox, home exec tasks, tinkered with FRR with more REM B-side tunes, sunset g&t, watched Moneyball.
- USD / ZAR exchange rate went over 19 ZAR per USD, eek.
- Saturday, tea, backups, sunset g&t, server shopping, watched V for Vendetta again – interesting how the plot involves a virus.
- DaisyDisk is a pretty useful tool to clean up a macOS filesystem and free up space. I got a bit annoyed with how macOS shows it has lots of space but ‘df -h’ shows a smaller number. DaisyDisk lets you purge the disk.
- So long Wunderlist. We had some good times – we planned a few Afrikaburns together.
- Beethoven – Piano Concerto No 5 – Zimerman, Wiener Philharmoniker, Bernstein (1989)
- Sunday, more backups, email scrubbing and played with FRR and IPv6 BGP, sunset g&t, braai with Mia – and an excellent bottle of Moreson Chardonnay 2017, watched High Fidelity again – great movie – good memories of making compilation tapes – and bad memories of breakups.
“The making of a great compilation tape is hard to do and takes ages longer than it might seem. You gotta kick off with a killer, to grab attention. Then you got to take it up a notch, but you don’t wanna blow your wad, so then you got to cool it off a notch. There are a lot of rules. Anyway… I’ve started to make a tape… in my head…” — High Fidelity, found in a post from 2008
- Tune of the week: R.E.M. – Oh My Heart
Have a fun week, crazy kids.