Pixies, La La Land and Star Trek uniforms…
- Week of 13 to 19 March.
- Health week: 4 day fast, usually I’d do 5 days, not smart fasting through a Pixies show.
- Limited photos this week. Phone stolen. Some photos were lost. I borrowed a few of Paul’s photos.
- Monday, fasting day, Headspace meditation, plumber came to unblock a pipe, work, gym for 300 Vitality points, catch up chat with Dirk and Dian, plumber returned and sorted out the pipe, nap, work, decluttered my apartment a bit, sunset walk, in bed early.
- I’m thinking I should do a mini 3 day fast per month.
- I managed to achieve all my weekly Vitality fitness goals last month, so the first 1/24 of the Apple Watch is free.
“First we know, then we learn.”
- Tuesday, fasting day, up early, podcast drive to the gym, turns out the Nu at The Point gym serves bulletproof coffee – yum (yeah, I kinda ignore a tiny bit of fat in my fasting thinking), some weight training with a Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack, some interval training swimming sprints, steam bath and cold showers, office – document writing day, catch up chat with Dan, green tea and coconut oil, I randomly walked passed the VIP movies at the Waterfront and decided to watch La La Land – which was very entertaining, yet somehow hard to watch – the jazz theme is great.
“It’s dying, Mia. It’s dying on the vine, and the world says: let it die. It had its time.” — Seb, La La Land, about jazz. Touching moment, authentic, real belief draws you in.
“I care not for a man’s religion whose dog is not the better for it.” ~- Abraham Lincoln
- Listen to this episode: Non-Ordinary States of Consciousness
- Wednesday, fasting day, Headspace meditation on a rainy day, podcast drive to the gym, swim, office, attended the first Cape Town EdTech cluster meetup – not bad.
- Seems I’m moving again soon.
- Jacques and I are plotting a new challenge to lose 10kg by 21 April.
“There’s a podcast for that”, the new “there’s an app for that”.
- Jacques has found a solution for people to stay at their target weight. We should all just wear Star Trek uniforms to work.
- Thursday, Jaco gave me a tour of the farm he lives on, gym – had some eggs for breakfast – which tasted amazing after not eating for 4 days, office, smoothie with Heleen – who is going running in six countries for six weeks – and documenting it to create awareness of the global water crisis – this may just be the ultimate millennial job (-:, battled the traffic to get to the Southern Suburbs, chilled at a guesthouse in Bishopscourt with Paul, pre-drinks and a great selection of starters at Hudsons in Claremont, Uber ride to Kirstenbosch, watched The Springbok Nude Girls, watched Pixies, my phone disappeared – pick pocket – walking down the hill at the end of the concert, phoned it and it rang, but was soon switched off, tried Find My iPhone but no luck – seems they caught a thief with 11 phones, Forresters with Paul and Tara.
- Note to self: only take cheap phones to concerts. :-/
- The Nude Girls were rad. Pixies were good – music was very good, but it kinda felt like they were just going through the motions – limited interaction between band members, and between the band and the crowd, maybe a case of: don’t meet your heros.
- Cat typing… never gets old.
“Most people are under-slept and over-caffeinated.”
- Friday, woke up in a very misty Sea Point, coffee with Heleen, office, fetched Mia, the usual biltong shopping, a glass of Chardonnay at Dirk’s house – while Mia watched V for Vendetta, Col’caccios and gelato with Mia, we watched Agora – movie about a geeky girl trying to save The Great Library of Alexandria while a bunch of Christians destroy everything – interesting perspective.
- Saturday, brunch at Ya-Ya cafe with Mia – fed Mia her usual dose of about 24 vitamins, phone chat with Heleen before her flight, coconut vanilla orange blossom banting ice cream at Cold Gold with Mia, we sent off some invites for Mia’s birthday party, nap, swim, watched Kong in 3D with Mia at the Eikestad mall – very entertaining, followed by a totally lame Spur dinner.
- Stay away from the Spur. It used to be okay quality at a good price. Now it’s just expensive and bad.
- I think I did about 7 loads of laundry this week.
- Sunday, brunch at Basic Bistro – Mia and I edited our list of Geeky Movies for Kids, swim and steam bath – Mia swam 1km with the Apple Watch – she seems to like the stats, took a drive out to the end of the Jonkershoek road, wine tasting at Stark-Conde, a visit to the Ride In – chats about the hockey season and interval training, watched the end of Agora with Mia – good movie, nap while Mia watched Hackers, snacks finding drive and chats about ideas for startups, we browsed some of Mia’s old photos, made drinks with big round ice balls, I showed Mia a Paul Graham video – Before the Startup, mostly because she could not find any other movies she wanted to watch.
- Make things people want.
- Note to self: spend more time browsing old photos.
- I miss being able to make notes on my phone.
“Aggressively, we all defend the role we play. Regrettably, time’s come to send you on your way. We’ve seen it all, bonfires of trust, flash floods of pain. It doesn’t really matter don’t you worry it’ll all work out.” — Exitlude, The Killers (Tune of the week)
Have a fun week, crazy kids.